A swimming ban was put in place at Grattan Beach yesterday following the discovery of intestinal bacteria in a sample taken recently.
Routine sampling on Monday found the intestinal bacteria E coli and intestinal enterococci in the water, and ‘do not swim’ notices were placed at the beach when results became available yesterday.
Signs placed at the beach yesterday warn that swimming in the water may cause intestinal illness.
The ban follows a similar ban put in place at Blackrock last week; the ban was lifted after a few days. The swimming ban at Grattan Beach is expected to last about three days.