Salthill-Knocknacarra too strong for Na Breathnaigh

Salthill-Knocknacarra qualified for an exciting county senior football quarter-final against Milltown in the next round of the Galway club championship when they proved too strong for Micheal Breathnachs last Sunday evening in a rain-drenched Moycullen.

Seán Armstrong’s charges advanced to the next round on a 3-10 to 0-13 score-line, with their all-important goals coming from Brian Conlon, Seamie Crowe, and Barry Kelly.

It was Conlon’s goal late in the first half, courtesy of a perceptive pass by Seán Armstrong, that really set the city men up for their win.

Thanks to that goal they led by 1-5 to 0-5 at the interval and that gave them some real momentum.

Hot favourite to succeed Alan Mulholland as Galway team manager, Kevin Walsh, watched his side miss a golden goal chance in the second half, before Salthill made a bolt for victory when Seamie Crowe latched onto another incisive ball by Armstrong to rattle the net.

Once Eoin O’ Mahony pointed and Barry Kelly goaled after Crowe’s three-pointer, there was going to be no way back for Na Breathnaigh, who had good displays up front from Peadar Óg Ó Griofa (0-3 ) and Peadar Ó Cionnaith (0-4, 2fs ).

Salthill were best served in attack by Gary Cox, Sean Armstrong, and Seamie Crowe, who ended with 1-3 (0-1f ). Gavin Duffy had been selected to play at midfield for the city outfit, however he was not available to tog out as he was in Croke Park on county duty with Mayo.

In the second game at Baile Dóite, Barna were far too strong for an NUIG side that had only 16 players at their disposal, which, once again, along with their pitiable display, brings up the debate of whether the college side should even be participating in the Galway club championship.

Pat Fallon’s men won easily by 0-13 to 0-4 and they will face Caherlistrane in the quarter-finals in two weeks.

The Queally men defeated Tuam after extra time in their clash at Corofin on a score-line of 2-12 to 0-15.

The Caherlistrane goals came from Eric Monahan and an Oisín O’ Brien penalty. It was 2-8 to 0-14 at the end of normal time.



Page generated in 0.1101 seconds.