Man charged with Rossaveal Pier assault

Jason McLaughlin pictured leaving Galway Courthouse this week. 
Photo: Hany Marzouk

Jason McLaughlin pictured leaving Galway Courthouse this week. Photo: Hany Marzouk

A Ballinasloe man charged in connection with a serious assault at Rossaveal Pier last weekend which left another man in a serious condition in hospital is due to appear before court again tomorrow.

Jason McLaughlin (21 ) with an address at Ballyglass, Ahascragh, Ballinasloe, County Galway, was brought in custody before Judge Mary Fahy at Galway District Court on Tuesday charged with assaulting 23-year-old David Kilbane causing him harm, contrary to Section 3 of the Non Fatal Offences Against the Person Act, at Rossaveal Pier on February 3 last.

Garda Shane Prendergast of Salthill Garda Station gave evidence that McLaughlin had been arrested on February 4 at 8.20pm and brought to Mill Street Garda Station. Following charge and caution McLaughlin gave no reply.

Inspector Brendan Carroll told the court that there would be no objection to bail being granted with conditions.

Defence solicitor Adrian MacLynn said that his client, who is single and unemployed, was unable to take up bail at present but that an application for legal aid was being made.

Judge Fahy remanded McLaughlin in custody with consent to bail on his own bond of €1,000, one half to be lodged, and an independent surety of €5,000, one half to be lodged, to appear at Harristown District Court tomorrow, February 8.

The conditions of bail included that McLaughlin sign on daily at Ballinasloe Garda Station between 9am and 9pm, that he reside at his address, abide by a curfew of between 9pm and 8am, surrender his passport and not apply for further travel documents, stay away from Galway city and the Connemara area except for legal appointments and court appearances, have no contact with the injured party or any witnesses in the matter, and that he refrain from alcohol. Free legal aid was also granted.

It is understood that the assault involved the use of a hammer and that a large gathering of cars and people had been in the area at the time of the incident. Mr Kilbane, from Barna, was later transferred to Beaumont Hospital for treatment in relation to a serious head injury. He is now in a critical but stable condition.


Page generated in 0.2846 seconds.