Car buying can be a daunting experience. St Anthony’s & Claddagh Credit Union can help with some simple tips to help in the search for a dream car:
1. Never buy a car without seeing it first or having it checked over by a professional.
2. Ask to see the log book and, if a name is on it, ask for ID to verify the seller.
3. Dealers’ prices my often be higher than private owners, but there are certain advantages when buying from a dealer, eg, vehicle recently serviced, extended warranty, additional extras.
4. Do not examine a vehicle at night time or during wet weather. Buyers will not be able to spot scrapes and scratches that would otherwise be visible during dry conditions.
5. Remember that salesmen work on a commission basis so they are going to be looking for a high asking price for the car they sell - so buyers can always feel they can haggle.
6 .Online auctions such as those found on eBay are becoming more popular. Auctions carry a far greater risk as buyers do not get to see the car they are bidding on in the metal - instead, the buyer must gauge the car's condition etc from photos alone.
7. Be brave and look under the bonnet. Corroded battery terminals or holding brackets, an oily engine, frayed wiring and cracked hoses are all signs of neglect.
8. Never give out account details if unsure. If a buyer does, and has reservations, they should contact their bank immediately
9. Starting out buyers should ask themselves the following questions:
What is the budget? How much will it cost to run this car in terms of tax, insurance and fuel consumption?
10. For competitive car loan rate at 6.5% (6.7% ), speak to a St Anthony’s & Claddagh Credit Union loans officer on 1800 CU LOAN = 1800 28 5626.
According to St Anthony’s and Claddagh Credit Union, its loans are low cost and high value.
To avail of a special car loan, buyers will need to become a member of St Anthony’s & Claddagh Credit Union.