Galway County Council is to receive further funding of more than €900,000 which will be used to implement flooding mitigation measures, studies, and to address localised flooding problems.
Minister of State with special responsibility for the Office of Public Works (OPW ), Dr Martin Mansergh TD, announced details last Tuesday of further funding being made available to local authorities. Galway County Council which was faced with the daunting task of tackling numerous repair works following the unprecendented flooding crisis late last year is to receive a welcome funding boost of €922,020.
Announcing the funding, Minister Mansergh said: “In March this year I announced allocations to 15 local authorities totalling €6.7m for flood mitigation measures to address localised flooding problems, including many areas affected by the unprecedented flood events in 2009. Based on assessment by my officials of additional information and new applications received subsequently, I have now allocated a further €3.9m to 14 local authorities for measures in their administrative areas. The amount that has now been allocated this year represents a 500 per cent increase on the amount allocated in 2009. This demonstrates my commitment, and that of the Government, to reducing the risk of flooding to communities throughout the country as a matter of urgency.”
Welcoming the news Independent Galway West TD Noel Grealish said that the funding “means that the OPW can commence flood prevention measures in these areas within the coming weeks” and that hopefully these areas “will never experience the same level of flooding again”. Deputy Grealish added that he will continue to liaise with Minister Mansergh to ensure funding for other flood stricken areas. He is also expecting “some positive news shortly on the issue of adequate insurance cover for people whose homes were flooded”.
Fianna Fáil Galway East TD Noel Treacy explained that the funding will be used “for studies, river cleaning, for flood defences, and other mitigation measures”. He said that he too will continue to work with the minister “to ensure that all areas requiring flood works in County Galway receive the funding and focus that they deserve”.
Areas where the funding is to be used include: Corgerry Oughter, Menlough - €16,200; Rahins, Mountbellow - €13,500; Cloonrelagh, Mountbellew - €11,250; Derrymullen, Ballinasloe - €31,5000; Derrymullen, Ballinasloe - €45,200; East Bridge, Ballinasloe - €40,500; Bride St, Loughrea - €31,500; Cross Street, Loughrea Town - €67,500; Ballyglass, Turloughmore - €18,000; Bullaun, Loughrea - €67,500; The Walks, Station Road, Loughrea - €27,000; Ryehill Demesne, Monivea - €14,400; Bellayarha North - €9,000; Caherlistrane - €27,000; Knockanranny - €10,800; Carraroe Area Office, Inverin - €5,850; Mira, Turloughmore - €67,500; Ballyglass South, Ballymoe - €54,000; Moylough village - €170,000; N18 at Oranmore - €14,400; Kilcoona - €4,500; Castlegrove, Tuam - €21,420; Oranmore - €300,000; and Tarramud and Coldwood, Clarin River - €40,000. Galway City Council also received €27,000 in funding for Two Mile Ditch area.