Focaccia is a traditional Italian bread, that is essentially a dough that has been banged down into a slab with the use of one’s fingers! It is a very enjoyable bread to make with the kids. If you do not have access to wild garlic, you can use fresh basil instead.
• 500g strong white flour
• 10g yeast
• 10g fine sea salt
• 100ml extra virgin rapeseed oil, and extra for oiling bowl and top of bread
• 250g water, tepid
• 10g flaky sea salt
• 25g wild garlic
1. Mix the flour and salt together into mixture in a stainless-steel bowl. Chop 20g of the wild garlic and add it to the flour mixture.
2. Add the yeast, olive oil and water in another bowl or jug.
3. Mix with one hand while keeping the other hand on the edge of the bowl until the dough starts to form into one solid mass.
4. Tip dough out on to table and work the dough for 5-10 minutes and then form into a smooth ball.
5. Oil the inside of your bowl and place the dough in the bowl. Cover with cling film.
Allow to rest for 45 minutes in a warm place (your kitchen with the oven on! ).
6. Tip the dough onto a clean surface and flatten it with your fingers.
7. Oil lightly and then sprinkle with the salt and garnish with the remaining garlic.
8. Allow to prove again for 20–30 minutes and then bake in a preheated oven (200°C ) for 15–20 minutes or until the bread is nicely browned all over.
• You can make pizza out of this dough.
Simply roll out dough balls and let them rise for 20 minutes. Then roll them out with a rolling pin and cover with tomato sauce, cheese, and your favourite toppings.
• Instead of making a pizza, you can make a roulade.
Simple sprinkle the base with cheese and Jamón serrano and roll as you would a wrap.
Join Jp to make focaccia, as well as other crowd-pleasing and family-friendly food such as lasagna, pancakes, and even roast chicken, on our 8-Week Virtual Cookery School for Kids. Starting April 11th the course will be held virtually via Zoom each Sunday morning from 11 am to 1 pm.
Budding young chefs can pre-book to attend the full course, priced at €250 or choose to attend individual classes for €35 per session with ingredients list and required tools shared in advance.
Visit Ania website to reserve your place.
Tune in on our social media page for a #StPatrickTakeover on March 17th 2021 for more St Patrick's Day festivities!