Are you ready to connect with your own authentic power and find stillness within? Are you Willing to communicate from your heart while navigating the complexity of human relationships? If you would like to bring peace into your life discover how empowering resolutions can help.
Conflict is a predictable part of virtually all relationships. The resulting stress causes our bodies to generate stress hormones which trigger our internal “fight or flight” response. If this stress continues over a prolonged time these stress hormones start to affect our physical and mental well-being.
Most of us have been thought negative and even destructive attitudes and communication patterns that exacerbate our conflicts and heighten our stress levels. Eg. Avoiding Conflict altogether, being defensive, being right, “psychoanalyzing”/Mind Reading/blaming and the list goes on.
As a result of scientific research, we now know that it’s possible to reduce a significant amount of stress and strengthen our relationships if we build the knowledge and skills to handle conflict in a healthy way.
Here are some guidelines to make conflict resolution simpler and less stressful.
1. Get in touch with your feelings. This is an important component of conflict resolution, knowing how you feel and why you feel that way. Journaling can be an effective way to get in touch with your own feelings, thoughts and expectations. Psychotherapy can also be helpful.
2. Develop your listening skills. It’s vital to understand the other person’s perspective, rather than just your own if you are to come to a resolution.
3. Assertive communication. Communicating your feelings and needs clearly is also an important aspect of conflict resolution. Put things in terms of how you feel rather than what you think the other person is doing wrong, using “I feel “statements.
4. Look for a solution. Once you understand the other person’s perspective, and they understand yours, it’s time to find a resolution to the conflict- a solution that you both can live with.
5. Knowing when it’s not working. Because of the toll that ongoing conflict can exact from a person, sometimes it’s advisable to put some distance in the relationship or cut ties completely.
Following the above guidelines in conjunction with a simple daily meditation practice can help you navigate the most difficult situations.
If you would like to learn more about conflict resolution or meditation, contact me at [email protected]