Long-time activist and campaigner Brendan Smith was announced on Tuesday night as the Galway City Council Volunteer of the Year, at the fourteenth Annual Mayor’s Awards for Galway City.
Mayor of Galway City, Cllr Noel Larkin presented the top award to Brendan Smith in recognition of his many years of dedicated service to volunteering in Galway City. Cllr Larkin commented “his long involvement with championing issues in the Ballinfoile area is an inspiration to all of us”
Other recipients of Mayor’s Awards include Phil Grealish for her many years of voluntary effort for her community and Róisín Farragher for her fundraising assistance with many groups.
Over 100 individuals and groups received certificates from the Mayor in celebration of voluntary activity in community life in the city. The winners of the individual awards remained a closely guarded secret until the ceremony itself which was held in the Radisson Blu Hotel in front of an audience of over 300 people. The Awards are organised by Galway City Council.
The recipients in each of the categories were:
Arts, Culture, Heritage & Cúrsaí Gaeilge Award
- St James’ Pastoral Council, in recognition of its contribution to highlighting the rich heritage of the Bushypark Community area.
Residents’ & Local Areas Award
– Paul Lennon, for his commitment and enthusiasm to volunteering with the Roscam/Rosshill Residents Association.
Community Service & Social Inclusion
- Phil Grealish, for her many years of volunteering with various groups within Galway City and in particular with St Columba’s Credit Union.
Older Volunteer of the Year
–The Renmore Friendship Club, for their commitment to increasing the quality of life for elderly people in their community.
Sports Volunteer of the Year Award
– Shane O’Connor, in recognition of his voluntary activity with the Galway Speeders’ swimming group
. Children and Youth Award
– Croí na Gaillimhe Homework Club, for their dedication and energy in working children in the Eglinton Hostel.
Young Volunteer of the Year
– Róisín Farragher, in recognition of her voluntary Fundraising activities for a number of Groups within Galway City.
Each of the winners received a Galway Crystal trophy and a cheque for €500.