Fatal Ardrahan hit and run case still active

The investigation into the hit and run incident which led to the tragic death of Gerard Keane is very much active with gardai renewing their appeal for information, Chief Superintendent Tom Curley told members of the County Galway Joint Policing Committee this week.

Not for the first time, county councillor Michael Fahy raised the issue at the JPC meeting on Monday describing how “there has been a lot of anxiety in South Galway that no one has been charged or arrested for this hit and run”. He added: “A nice quiet gentlemant was knocked down when he was about to cross the road and died within a matter of hours. There is a major concern in Ardrahan that nothing has happened. It was an awful crime.”

Chief Supt Curley made assurances that since the last JPC meeting in November “there have been more developments” and that gardai have renewed their appeal for information. “I firmly believe there is more information out there,” he said.

Crimestoppers issued an appeal in May of last year in relation to the fatal hit and run traffic accident which occured on November 16, 2012, at approximately 7.30pm on the Galway side of the Ardrahan pedestrian crossing on the N18.

On the evening of the accident, Gerard Keane (65 ), from Cloughroak in Ardhrahan, planned to go for a drink in Ardhrahan village. He was dropped off in the village and proceeded to cross the N18. As he crossed the road he was struck by what is believed to be a dark coloured Ford Focus hatchback car travelling towards Galway. The car failed to stop and Mr Keane died from the injuries he sustained on Saturday 17 November 2012. The make of vehicle was identified by gardai in Gort who obtained CCTV footage from Irish Rail for the level crossings at Ardrahan.

Advertisement

 

Page generated in 0.2000 seconds.