HIQA has announced the composition of the panel who will investigate standards and services at University Hospital Galway following the death of Savita Halappanavar.
The team will have 12 members, including five support staff at HIQA. The appointment of a final team member is being concluded.
Ms Halappanavar died at the hospital on 28 October following a miscarriage and the resulting media coverage went global.
The team includes:
- Dr Paul Fogarty, consultant obstetrician and gynaecologist, Ulster Hospital in Belfast
- Dr Nuala Lucas, consultant anaesthetist, Northwick Park in England
- Denise Boulter, midwife consultant, Northern Ireland Public Health Agency
- Dr Bharat Patel, consultant medical microbiologist, UK Health Protection Agency
- Dr Robert Cunney, consultant microbiologist, HSE Health Protection Surveillance Centre
- Loretta Evans, lay person and patient safety champion
The investigation will be managed by five staff from within HIQA, who will form part of the investigation team.
HIQA said yesterday that the appointment of the membership has been approved by Minister for Health James Reilly and Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform Brendan Howlin.