Colga ladies celebrate season double

Colga FC ladies completed a league and cup double in five days.

A midweek 2-0 win in their top-of-the-table contest with Corrib Rangers ensured they were crowned league champions, while on Sunday they added GDL Ladies Cup to their trophy cabinet after a 2-1 win over a Cam Celtic in Deacy Park.

Colga made the perfect start when Carol Mannion found space in the box to get the better of Emily Staunton for a 1-0 lead after just three minutes.

However Cam responded well to the early setback and for the remainder of the half was the more dominant side.

Cliona McHugh, Clare Grehan, Aine O’Brien, and Aine Kelly were to the forefront for Cam’s fightback as they pushed forward with speed, skill and some great movement. On 15 minutes Aine Kelly delivered a great cross from the left, but Cliona McHugh failed to hit the target from close range. O’Brien also had a good opportunity to level matters when put through with just Marian Murray to beat, but the keeper came out on top.

Colga offered a rare threat at the other end when Susie Cunningham got on the end of a Mannion delivery, but the striker could only direct her header straight at Staunton.

Cam eventually were rewarded for their efforts when they levelled matters on 25 minutes. It was Fiona Gavin who provided the through ball that was picked up by Aine O’Brien who displayed a touch of class in holding off the defensive cover before firing low past the advancing Murray to tie up matters at 1-1.

Moments later Cam could have made it 2-1, but McHugh was just wide of the far post as her attempted lob got the better of Murray. Colga got a little respite when an Alana Moran free kick fell to Maeve Maloney outside the box, but her powerful effort was comfortably gathered by Staunton.

The visitors continued to pressure and should have gone ahead when Kelly and McHugh combined to release O’Brien, but the advancing Murray again came out on top.

It was a different story in the second half as the home side took control.

Keara Cormican, Alana Moran, Becky McPhilbin and Lisa Casserly were all to the fore, while the front two of Cunningham and Carol Mannion always threatened.

Only a lack of cutting edge in the box prolonged the agony for Colga supporters. Finally, in the 75th minute, a Mannion corner was picked up at the far post by Lisa Casserly and, with time and space, she volleyed home from close range for a 2 – 1 lead.

Colga could have added to the scoreline, but instead were forced to survive a late Cam revival with Marie Murray on song in goal.

Colga FC: M Murray, M Maloney (L Philips 59mins ), R Bannon, P Kelly, J Linnane, K Cormican, A Moran, R McPhilbin, S Cunningham, L Casserly, C Mannion. Subs, M Martin, J Greene, Y Walsh, D Martin, L Corcoran, S Smyth.

Cam Celtic: E Staunton, C Scally, J Conlon, M Walsh, L Naughton, A Kelly (A McHugh 84mins ), S Tully, F Gavin, C Grehan, C McHugh, A O’Brien. Subs, G O’Brien, A Byrne, E Coughlan, M Kelly.

Referee: Niall Crossby (Galway ).



Page generated in 0.0920 seconds.