Two men arrested for hit and run

Traffic chaos after road and bridge closure

Two men, apprehended shortly after a serious hit and run which resulted in a woman being brought to hospital and traffic gridlock, were questioned for several hours before being released without charge yesterday morning.

The two Galway men, one in his forties and the other in his fifties, were arrested soon after the hit and run incident on the Headford Road on Tuesday afternoon and brought to Galway Garda Station where they were questioned and held overnight. According to a Garda spokesperson, both men were released by 11am yesterday and a file is now due to be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions.

A local woman in her early forties received serious injuries after being struck by a car at 1.45pm on Tuesday at a pedestrian crossing located close to Dunnes Stores on the Headford Road. The Garda spokesperson confirmed that the car fled the scene but was later located and the two men were arrested for serious road traffic offences. Emergency services attended the scene and the woman was taken to University Hospital Galway for treatment, she has been described as being in a serious but stable condition.

Following the accident the outbound lane of this section of the Headford Road was closed off to allow for forensic collision investigation and was not opened until around 7pm that evening.

While this lane remained sealed off for more than five hours traffic in the city was brought to a near stand-still. The frustration of motorists desperately trying to get home during rush hour was also compounded by the closing of the Portumna Bridge due to a fault in the mechanism of the River Shannon bridge. There were also road works in the Bushypark area which added to the delays.

Meanwhile, emergency services were called to the scene of an accident in Eyre Square yesterday where a woman was knocked down by a goods delivery truck.

The incident happened close to Richardson’s pub shortly before 2pm and a woman was taken to University Hospital Galway by ambulance for treatment. The extent of the woman’s injuries were not known at time of going to press.


Page generated in 0.2971 seconds.