Cashel well beaten by Mullagh

Mullagh had an impressive 1-17 to 1-8 win over Castlegar in Loughrea on Saturday. Cashel had won their first two games, but they can have no complaints with this result as they played second fiddle to the Mullagh men in the final quarter of the game as the East Galway men hit 1-06 on the trot.

Twelve points, including five from play from Niall Cahalan and a goal from Cathal Dervan from a free, ensure Mullagh remain unbeaten. They had fine displays from Conor Dervan, Tony Clarke, Noel Mannion, Alan Gaynor and Cahalan, who lined out at midfield.

A late goal from substitute Brian Connolly was mere consolation for Castlegar. John Connolly's charges are still very much in the hunt for qualification and they face Liam Mellows in their final round game.

Elsewhere, Joe Canning once again led the way with a haul of 2-6 as Portumna’s quest for a fourth Galway senior hurling championship in a row stepped up another gear with a 2-13 to 0-13 win over Beagh in Loughrea.

In Group D of the championship, Killimordaly pulled off a shock when they managed to defeat hot-favourites Kinvara by 1-9 to 0-11 in Athenry. A John McDonagh goal before the break was crucial as the victors secured their first win of the season, while 0-6 from Niall Earls also helped their cause.

Last year’s defeated county finalists Loughrea went down by two points as Kiltormer won by 3-11 to 1-15.

Two goals from Brendan Kenny and another from Conor Ryan proved the difference between the sides, while points from Keith Kilkenny gave Kiltormer their first win of the championship.

Gort moved top of Group B after claiming a 1-16 to 1-10 victory over Tommy Larkins in Athenry on Saturday.

Aidan Harte scored six points, while five more from Gerry Quinn and a Paul Killilea goal midway through the second half gave Gort their second win of the year.

In the other Group B clash a David Burke goal in the second half was critical for St Thomas as they managed to fend off a late rally from Tynagh/Abbey-Duniry to secure a 1-14 to 0-12 win, their first of the competition.

Sarsfields continued to impress in Group A as they took their second win from Craughwell on a 0-14 to 0-10 scoreline. A late rush from Craughwell, led by Niall Healy, looked likely to have forced a draw, but Kerril Wade’s sharp-shooting pulled Sarsfields clear to claim the two points.

This Sunday there is only one senior championship game fixed with Ardrahan facing Carnmore in Group C at Athenry at 4pm.


Page generated in 0.0988 seconds.