Homeless man to serve extra two months for being constant nuisance

A homeless man, with 129 previous convictions and who is a constant nuisance to staff and the general public at Ceannt Station, will have to serve an extra two months in jail.

Thomas McCarthy (46 ) with an address given as Fairgreen Hostel, was brought in custody before Judge Mary Fahy at Galway District Court last Monday charged with being intoxicated in a public place, threatening and abusive behaviour, and failing to obey garda orders at Forster Court on November 12, 2009. He was further charged with being intoxicated and with threatening and abusive at Shop Street and stealing groceries valued €10.20 from Platform 3, at Ceannt Station, on November 14. McCarthy also failed to appear in court on December 7, 2009.

The court heard that the defendant was entering a plea of guilty to all charges. Inspector Sean Glynn told the court that on November 12, 2009, the defendant had been highly intoxicated in Forster Court and that it was necessary to arrest him as he was a danger to himself and to other people who were in the vacinity at the time. Two days later the defendant was causing a nuisance at Platform 3 in Ceannt Station and stole groceries. That same day in Shop Street, McCarthy was found slumped against a shop and he became agitated and aggressive to people in the area.

Defence solicitor Valerie Corcoran said that her client, who has been a long term resident of Fairgreen Hostel, was “constantly doing short periods in custody for public order offences”. She said that McCarthy had been out on temporary release at the time these offences were committed and had been unable to comply with conditions. Ms Corcoran added that the groceries that were stolen from Platform 3 consisted of two sandwiches.

“He is a constant nuisance at Ceant Station, an area which is very congested. It is a great inconvenience for staff and for everyone,” said Judge Fahy.

Ms Corcoran replied that McCarthy has been punished for his lack of compliance with the temporary release conditions. The court heard that the defendant was currently detained at Castlerea and his release date is March 23.

Judge Fahy convicted McCarthy and imposed a two month sentence to be served on lawful termination of the sentence already being served, and ordered him to pay a fine of €200 payable forthwith.



Page generated in 0.1356 seconds.