Paranoid schizophrenic jailed for nine months

Man throws pub stools and threatens to blow up garda station, court hears

A paranoid schizophrenic who ripped wires out of a boat, threw stools in a pub, and threatened to blow up a garda statio, has been sentenced to a total of nine months.

Christy McCarthy (46 ) of no fixed abode appeared for a second time before Galway District Court last Monday charged with numerous public order and criminal damage offences.

Last week the court heard that on June 19, 2009, at 4.30pm the defendant went onto a boat at the Docks and began to rip wires out. He returned on June 21 and caused more damage. McCarthy was arrested at Dock Road on June 20 for being intoxicated and, after being released from custody, at 1.50pm McCarthy went to the Galway Arms pub. When he was told to stop smoking he threw stools, plates, and salt and pepper shakers around.

On June 24 at Mainguard Street McCarthy, who was bare-chested and wearing no shoes, was screaming at passers-by and punching the air. On June 30 the defendant attempted to gain entry into an apartment at Spanish Arch but was confronted by the resident.

This week, Inspector Pat McHugh explained that McCarthy was again causing disturbances on June 25. At 9.57am the defendant was at Galway Garda Station when he started shouting and roaring, putting a number of people in fear. When a garda told him to desist from such behaviour McCarthy told him to “f**k off” before adding: “I’ll have you all killed” and “I’ll blow up this place”. The defendant lashed and kicked out at gardai as they attempted to restrain him.

Inspector McHugh said that McCarthy has 21 previous convictions, including one for manslaughter in December 2002 for which he received a 10-year sentence with the last two years and six months suspended.

Defence solicitor Ian Foley explained that his client suffers from bipolar disorder and paranoid schizophrenia which is compounded by severe alcoholism. He said that McCarthy went off the rails and stopped taking his medication following the death of his sister in May of this year. He confirmed that McCarthy was now taking his medication.

Judge Mary Fahy convicted and sentenced the defendant to a total of nine months in jail and fined him €400 payable forthwith.



Page generated in 0.1813 seconds.