A young man who turned up at Renmore Barracks to begin his induction into the Army was informed that Garda vetting had shown up that he was facing a drug-driving charge.
Sean Foley of 51 Gaelcarrig Park, Newcastle, Galway was told that he needed to get this matter dealt with, and then he could come back and continue with his military career.
So he appeared before a special sitting of Galway District Court and pleaded guilty to the charge within the week
This was the scenario outline to Judge Adrian Harris at the special sitting.
Brian Gilmartin solicitor (defending ) pleaded his client could prolong the case but he wanted to get it out of the way. He had turned up for Army induction on a Monday, and came before the court on the following Friday and pleaded guilty to the charge of driving under the influence of cocaine.
In early 2025 the defendant was stopped at a Garda checkpoint and arrested. He later tested positive for cocaine in his system.
The defence noted that he had co-operated fully with Gardaí at all times and had caused no problems for them. He is 22, from Galway and simply wanted to leave this matter behind him. He had no previous convictions.
Judge Harris said that he was taking note of the facts that the defendant had no previous conviction had had been fully co-operative with Gardaí. He imposed a one-year driving disqualification and a fine of €300 and wished him all the best with his Army career.