Front-foot United add another win in Ferrycarrig

A goal directly from a corner and one from a quickly-taken free-kick ensured Galway United took all three points with a 2-0 victory from Ferrycarrig Park last Friday.

It was a professional performance from United who once again had to rearrange in defence. Evan O’Connor made a second start, while the returning Rob Slevin replaced the injured Killian Brouder.

The changes mattered little early on as United were mostly on the front foot. Nonetheless, their first goal in the 17th minute was fortuitous. Conor McCormack whipped in a corner while O’Connor made a nuisance of himself at the front post, and the ball whizzed straight into the Wexford net for the captain’s first goal for his club.

McCormack nearly turned provider with another quality delivery later in the half. Francely Lomboto rose well and powered a header that was turned away by the Wexford keeper.

Stephen Walsh terrorised the Wexford back four throughout and came agonisingly close each side of half-time. A hopeful ball forward from Regan Donelon sent Walsh clean through, but his control let him down, allowing Hugh Douglas to get back and make a decisive block.

In the second half Walsh nearly had a contender for goal of the season. Vincent Borden scooped it forward to the striker. He turned and unleashed a vicious half-volley with the outside of his left boot from 30 yards. The ball sailed past Charlie Heffernan, but unfortunately cannoned back off the post.

The second goal eventually came in the 57th minute. It emanated from a moment of ingenuity from David Hurley who stood over a free in Wexford’s half. The home team switched off and Hurley poked a quick free through to Ed McCarthy, who stole into the box and slotted a right-footed finish home.

Rob Manley made an impression when introduced. He held the ball up well and teed up Walsh, who was denied by the woodwork again when his shot crashed back off the bar.

Crucially, though, United were comfortable at the back. There was a brief scare late on when Seán Fitzpatrick curled an effort off the crossbar. But Brendan Clarke and company closed the game out thereafter and registered an incredible 11th clean sheet of the season.

United now have a week off to recharge their batteries and focus on the fitness of the squad. They will have been encouraged to have had Ronan Manning on the bench in Wexford and will hope he will be in contention when Longford Town come to Terryland on Friday week.


Page generated in 0.1878 seconds.