TRUE LOVE HURTS - Irish National Opera presents Jules Massenet’s Werther Nationwide tour coming to Town Hall Theatre, Galway – Thursday 27 May 2023
Fresh from the success of their five-star production of Donizetti’s Don Pasquale, Irish National Opera are delighted to be coming back to Town Hall Theatre during their tour of Jules Massenet's Werther, a story based on Goethe’s great novel of suppressed love. The title role is sung by prize-winning young Italian tenor Paride Cataldo who is making his INO debut. Werther's love interest, Charlotte, is Cork mezzo-soprano Niamh O'Sullivan. Niamh, who has been praised for her “bewitchingly beautiful, dark vibrant voice” (Süddeutsche Zeitung ), won plaudits for her performances in INO’s Olivier Award-winning production of Vivaldi's Bajazet and also in Donnacha Dennehy and Enda Walsh's The First Child.
This new production, which relocates the time and place from late 18th-century Germany to a setting much closer to home, is directed by Sophie Motley (artistic director of The Everyman in Cork ), designed by Sarah Bacon (winner of an Irish Times Irish Theatre award for set design ), and conducted by Philipp Pointner.
Irish National Opera’s artistic director Fergus Sheil says “Although the opera Werther is named after the leading tenor, our experience of this heart-breaking story is told mostly through the leading mezzo-soprano, Charlotte. Werther falls madly in love with Charlotte, but she is the one who has to make agonising choices between family, duty and the demands of her heart. Our Werther, Italian tenor Paride Cataldo, has a voice to dream of and he is matched with one of the most exceptional Irish artists Niamh O’Sullivan, who makes her role debut as Charlotte.”
Anglo-French baritone Charles Rice is Albert, the suitor Charlotte marries, with Irish soprano Sarah Shine as Charlotte's younger sister. The cast also includes Welsh baritone Wyn Pencarreg as Le Bailli, Wexford tenor Eamonn Mulhall as Schmidt and Limerick baritone Owen Gilhooly-Miles as Johann.
Don’t miss Irish National Opera’s Werther, coming to Town Hall Theatre, Galway on Thursday 27 April.
AGE GUIDANCE: Suitable for ages 12+
For more information visit irishnationalopera.ie Irish National Opera is funded by The Arts Council/An Chomhairle Ealaíon.
The Irish National Opera are offering one lucky winner the chance to win a pair of Werther tickets in the Town Hall Theatre with pre-theatre supper and a bottle of wine in the Brasserie on the Corner, Galway on Thursday 27 April. All you have to do it answer the question in the form below. The competition will close on Wednesday, April 26th, 2023. Ts & Cs Apply* Good Luck to all!
*Terms and Conditions
1. The prize is for a pair of Werther tickets in the Town Hall Theatre with pre-theatre supper and a bottle of wine in the Brasserie on the Corner, Galway on Thursday 27 April
2. There is only one winner of this competition.
3. Subject to availability.
4. No cash Alternative & Non-transferable.
5. Once selected, the winner will be contacted by the Galway Advertiser to arrange delivery of the prize.
6. Winners must be over 18 years of age.
7. Entries must be entered online in the form above.
8. Entries not submitted in accordance with these rules will be disqualified.
9. Entry to this promotion shall be deemed full and unconditional acceptance of the terms and conditions.
10. The promoters reserve the right to amend these terms and conditions.
11. Details of the competition winner will be posted on the Galway Advertiser's social media and the winner will be notified by email. You have five days to claim your prize once contacted by email.
11. Closing date for entries is Wednesday, April 26th, 2023.