The Galway Advertiser is delighted to present Cherish the Ladies at The Town Hall Theatre, Galway on June 24th, 2022.
Over their 37 years as one of America's most heralded Irish ensembles, Cherish the Ladies have won the hearts of audiences worldwide for their rousing blend of traditional music with captivating vocal interpretations and propulsive step dancing. "It is simply impossible to imagine an audience that wouldn't enjoy what they do," says the Boston Globe, speaking of this long-running, Grammy-nominated, Irish-American super group that formed in New York City in 1985 to celebrate the rise of women in what had been a male-dominated Irish music scene. They have since toured the world, played the White House and the Olympics and recorded 18 critically acclaimed albums.
Under the leadership of the 2021 National Heritage Award winner and All-Ireland flute and whistle champion Joanie Madden, these ladies create an incredible experience, brimming with sheer talent and entertainment. Sharing the stage musically with Madden, will be fellow All Ireland champions, Mirella Murray (accordion ) and Nollaig Casey (fiddle ), the nimble fingerwork of Mary Coogan (guitar ), the beautiful vocals of County Clare songstress, Kate Purcell (lead vocals, guitar ) and two extremely talented County Galway men, Don Stiffe and Connemara's Seamus O'Flatharta. Adding their amazing footwork to the performance is world champion Irish step dancer, David Greaney and Canadian champion dancer and Chieftains alumni, Nathan Pilatzke. Fiddler, Yvonne Kane, bass player, Trevor Hutchinson, and singer & guitarist, Bruce Foley will be adding their magic as well!
The New York Times calls their music "passionate, tender and rambunctious," and the Washington Post praises their "astonishing array of virtuosity". They've won recognition as the BBC's Best Musical Group of the Year and were named Top North American Celtic Group at the Irish Music Awards. They've collaborated with such musicians as The Boston Pops, The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem, the The Chieftains, Vince Gill, Nanci Griffith, Pete Seeger, Don Henley, Arlo Guthrie and Maura O'Connell, as well as being the featured soloist with over 300 nights of symphony orchestras.
Cherish the Ladies storied their career, which includes 18 albums, and thousands of concert performances around the world, including over 300 guest appearances with leading symphony orchestras. Both Madden and her band have amassed a long and impressive list of awards at home and in Ireland, including being forever immortalized with a street named in their honour on the Bronx's Grand Concourse. No matter how far from home, their continued success as one of the best-loved Irish groups rests on their blend of virtuosic instrumentals, beautiful vocals, traditional and original arrangements, and stunning step dancing-presented with extraordinary, talent, creativity and humour.
Don't miss out on this opportunity to experience a great night of amazing talent and mighty craic!!!!!
Please enter the competition by answering the question in the form below
Good Luck to all!
** T&C applies (scroll down to terms & conditions ).
**Terms & Conditions
1. The prize is for 2 tickets to Cherish the Ladies at The Town Hall Theatre, Galway on June 24th, 2022.
2. Subject to availability.
3. No cash Alternative & Non-transferable.
4. Once selected, the winner will be contacted by the Galway Advertiser to arrange delivery of the prize.
5. Winners must be over 18 years of age.
6. Entries must be entered online in the form above.
7. Entries not submitted in accordance with these rules will be disqualified.
8. Entry to this promotion shall be deemed full and unconditional acceptance of the terms and conditions.
9. The promoters reserve the right to amend these terms and conditions.
10. Details of the competition winner will be posted on the Galway Advertiser's Facebook page and the winner will be notified by email. You have five days to claim your prize once contacted by email.
11. Closing date for entries is Friday June 17th, 2022 @9am and the winner will be announced at 10am on Friday June 17th, 2022.