Galway footballers set to continue unbeaten league run

Galway look to maintain their winning run in the Allianz Football League's division two when they host Clare in Tuam on Sunday (2pm ).

This is a key game for the promotion-chasing teams with fellow leaders Derry facing Roscommon, who are just a point behind, at the same time.

With three rounds remaining, Galway and Derry are unbeaten - two of only three teams including Cavan which are on full points to date - while Roscommon are just a point behind ensuring the competition is hotting up for the promotion hopefuls.

Derry, ahead of the Tribesmen on points difference, now take on Roscommon in Dr Hyde Park for their first league encounter since 2000, while Galway's meeting with Clare is the first since 2017 when the Tribesmen won the division two contest by 3-12 to 1-11.

Last weekend's refixed clash with John Maughan's Offaly ensured Galway continued their solid start, winning by 2-17 to 3-10 - a high scoring game played in ideal conditions.

Galway began the brighter of the two teams as Oughterard's Matthew Tierney was given far too much time and space by the Offaly defence on two occasions to kick the opening scores. Soon after his brace, Tierney put Damien Comer through on goal,and the Annaghdown man made no mistake as he rifled the ball to the roof of the net.

At this early stage it appeared as if the Tribesmen were going to run away with the contest, but the Faithful County was courageous in its response.

Firstly, Dylan Hyland pointed, which was swiftly followed by a Bernard Allen goal after he cut in behind the Galway corner back Jack Glynn and made no mistake with his finish - a concession of another early goal having done so in Páirc UíChaoimh the previous weekend will concern Padraic Joyce.

Galway’s next couple of scores came from deep runners as Paul Conroy and captain Seán Kelly tapped on points. At the other end Niall McNamee caused trouble for the Galway defence, tapping over two frees to keep Offaly within touching distance of Galway. However, with Damien Comer wreaking havoc in the Offaly full back line, he added to the points tally with Matthew Tierney and Conroy again scoring, while at the other end Bernard Allen continued his impressive opening half by notching two points to keep them in the game, 1-08 to 1-06.

The third quarter was all about Salthill-Knocknacarra’s Robert Finnerty. Finnerty who started the game at corner forward, appeared to be playing deeper in the second half and it reaped dividends. He was the catalyst as Galway took control in the opening 15 minutes of the second half, while also contributing three points from play, while Finnian O’Laoi, Comer and John Daly were also on target.

Galway were given a slight scare when Ruairi McNamee put the ball in the net after it had rebounded off the post from a Niall McNamee free. But the Offaly threat did not last much longer as full back Sean Kelly got on the end of a move to sweep home with his left foot from close range.

Galway closed out the remainder of the game comfortably with the only blip being a late penalty conceded, duly dispatched by Anton Sullivan which added some gloss to the scoreline for Offaly.


Page generated in 0.2292 seconds.