Westport United claim the title in style

Soccer: Mayo League Round Up

Patrick Rowland the CEO of Elverys Sports presenting the Super League Trophy to Gary Cunningham of Westport United.

Patrick Rowland the CEO of Elverys Sports presenting the Super League Trophy to Gary Cunningham of Westport United.

Westport United retained the Elverys Sports Super League title on Sunday thanks to a 7-1 win over Conn Rangers at the Sports Park. They had to come from behind as Johnnie Cocozzoa gave the North Mayo side an early lead. Westport Utd under the tutelage of John Brennan this season rallied and pushed 3-1 clear at the break thanks to goals from Mark McNally, Joe Lawless and Pat Fitzgerald. It was more of the same in the second half where they put on a show for the Westport faithful. McNally grabbed another along with goals from Jamie Fallon, Danny Scahill and David Hoban wrapping up a comprehensive win.

Ballyheane had to utilise all their experience to see of a plucky Ballyglass outfit on Sunday morning in a 1-0 win. A penalty by Alan Tuffy in the 22nd minute proved crucial, where Scott Hamilton received a red card for his challenge. This seemed to galvanise Ballyglass who put Ballyheane underall sorts of pressure. Liam Hughes was denied by the woodwork as Ballyglass searched frantically for an equaliser. Castlebar Celtic meanwhile recorded a 3-1 win over West Mayo rivals Manulla in a hugely competitive affair. Two goals from sharpshooter Paul Fitzpatrick and Paul Moran was enough to see them home. Straide and Foxford Utd conceded the points to Ballina Town, as they couldn’t field a team at the weekend, whilst Charlestown Athletic also conceded the game against Iorrais Aontaithe on Sunday afternoon.

Hibs book third round spot in Connacht Cup

Bangor Hibs were pushed all the way on Sunday afternoon, as they needed extra time to see of Brazukas 5-4. Braces from Brian McHale and Stephen Winters and an effort from Kieran Gallagher booked their passage into the next round. Partry Athletic came from behind to defeat Arrow Harps 4-1. Michael Seoighe equalised on the stroke of half-time before Ciaran Hennelly stole the show in the second half with a thrilling hat-trick.

A last minute goal in extra time ensured Newport Town progressed to the next round after seeing off Mayo League side Crossmolina. Twice Crossmolina took the lead through Cormac Bleihin and Kevin O’Brien, but Newport rallied with goals from Niall Mullarkey, Declan McTigue and Sean Kelly carving out a 3-2 win at the death. Ballina Town B were dumped out of the cup at home to Mervue Utd B on Sunday afternoon where they lost 3-0 to the Galway side.


Page generated in 0.0857 seconds.