Mayo League top divisions heading towards a conclusion

Last weekend saw Ballina Town narrow Castlebar Celtic's lead at the top of the Super League to six points with a 2-1 triumph over Conn Rangers.

Dylan McKee handed Ballina the advantage just before the half-hour mark, but their near neighbours quickly equalised through a spectacular solo effort by Kyle Neary four minutes later. The winning goal came early in the second half from Niall Casey, allowing Ballina to maintain a glimmer of hope for the title with two games remaining - but with Celtic requiring just one point from their three games left, even Ballina know that it would take a miracle for them to catch the Hoops' at this stage of the season.

Ballyheane maintained a one-point lead over Westport United in third place in the Super League after a 1-1 draw between the sides in Pat Quigley Park last weekend. Only three minutes into the match, Westport conceded their first goal in five games as Ben Edeh reacted swiftly to volley the ball into the net after a deflected shot from beyond the box hit the crossbar and fell to him. Twenty minutes later, Westport leveled the score in a similar manner when Fionn O’Hora's long-range attempt also struck the crossbar, and Dylan Duane was present to head it into the bottom right corner of the net from an eight-yard distance. Although both teams had opportunities to secure a victory in the second half neither side could find a winner in this contest.

The other Super League fixture of the weekend also concluded with a draw as Michael Guilfoyle netted a late equaliser for Straide & Foxford United in an exciting 3-3 encounter against Manulla at Green Road. The sole goal in the first half belonged to Manulla, with Iago Moura-Rocha providing the lead at the forty-minute mark. Straide & Foxford responded in the second half, with Liam Keane and Tony McDermott scoring within three minutes around the sixty-minute mark. Sean Corcoran then brought Manulla back on level terms at seventy-three minutes, and although Lee Lyons seemed to secure the victory for Manulla with a goal at eighty minutes, Guilfoyle managed to salvage a point for Straide & Foxford during injury time.

Ballinrobe keep title race going to final day in Premier Division

The race for the Premier Division title will go all the way to the final day of the season following Ballinrobe Town's win over Ballyglass on the road last weekend. Ballinrobe Town ran out 4-1 winners over their hosts and they remain two points behind Claremorris and are banking on a stumble from Paul Burke's side against Ballyhaunis in the final round of games, while aiming to capitalise with a victory over Kiltimagh/Knock United B in their ultimate match. Jp O’Gorman and Danny O’Toole propelled them to a two-goal lead at halftime. Connor Ryan contributed a third goal just after the hour mark. Although Mark McGreal pulled a goal back for Ballyglass with five minutes remaining, Killian McHugh finalized the scoreline with Ballinrobe's fourth goal during injury time.

In the other games in the division last weekend Daniel Ruane shone as the standout performer for Moy Villa, securing a hat-trick in a 4-2 triumph over the already relegated Fahy Rovers. Ruane, alongside Patrick O’Connell, orchestrated all the first-half scoring, with each player netting twice, resulting in a level scoreline at halftime. In a swift three minutes from kickoff, Ruane established Villa's lead. Although O'Connell equalized in the nineteenth minute, Ruane promptly restored Villa's advantage just four minutes later. O'Connell secured his second goal in the thirty-ninth minute. However, the day ultimately belonged to Moy Villa, as Conor Pearce pushed them into the lead for the third time at the hour mark. Ruane concluded the scoring with his third goal of the day, seven minutes later.

In their final home match of the season, Kiltimagh/Knock United B clinched a 4-2 victory over Ballyhaunis Town on Saturday evening, with all goals arising in the initial half. Within the opening fifteen minutes, Padraic McLoughlin and Ethan Hosty swiftly established a two-goal lead. Lukasz Roda managed to pull one back for Ballyhaunis, but Dylan Webb quickly reinstated Kiltimagh/Knock United B's two-goal advantage. Conor Heneghan further extended the lead with a fourth goal ten minutes later. The final goal of the half emerged in stoppage time, with Richie Crinnigan finding the net for his first goal of the season.

In a match of minimal consequence for either team, Westport United B secured a commanding 6-1 victory against Kilmore on Sunday afternoon at United Park in the other game in the division last weekend.


Page generated in 0.0974 seconds.