Mayo head home for Kildare clash

Camogie: National Camogie League

Photo: Sportsfile

Photo: Sportsfile

The Mayo Camogie senior team will play their first home league game of the season tomorrow afternoon when they welcome Kildare to Tooreen at 2pm.

Mayo will head into the game after going down to Roscommon last weekend in their league opener by nine points, but with plenty to take from their first outing in the league for a long number of years.

They will welcome a Kildare side who saw off the challenge of Louth in the Kildare Centre of Excellence last weekend on a score of 2-10 to 0-4.

Jimmy Lyons' side put it up to their hosts last weekend for a long period of the game and got off to a flying start when Lisa Scahill pulled on the ball on the ground close to goal and drove it to the back of the net, following a strong run by Mairead Murray to set her up two minutes in. That was followed up by a fine point from midfielder Meabh Delaney four minutes later and Mayo were leading 1-1 to 0-0.

Roscommon did push themselves back in front by the 13 minute mark, thanks to points from Kelly Hopkins and Nicola Green, before the impressive Shauna Fallon hit their first goal of the day, when her free dropped short of the target and mix up between the goalkeeper and Mayo defence saw it slip over the line.

But that score didn’t knock the stuffing out of the Mayo challenge and they came right back at their hosts and Delaney pointed a free from distance to level it up just after the quarter hour mark.

The hosts edged back in front through another Fallon point on 21 minutes, but five minutes later Mayo struck for their second goal of the day. Delaney lined up a free from out on the right hand side, her effort was low and and it skipped off the deck and into the back of the net, to put Mayo into a 2-2 to 1-3 lead.

Sinead O’Brien closed the gap to a single point before the break with a point for the hosts, but Mayo would have been very happy going in leading 2-2 to 1-4 at the turnaround.

Roscommon came out in fresh blue jerseys for the second half, to try and help counteract the soaking that both sides got in the first half hour and they didn’t look back, outscoring Mayo 1-7 to 0-0 in the second half - despite the best efforts of the Mayo players.


Page generated in 0.0855 seconds.