Lough Ree RNLI assist two grounded cruisers

Lough Ree RNLI lifeboat crew were alerted by the Coast Guard to two separate incidents on Saturday, May 27.

The first alarm was raised at 11.04am when two people on board a 32ft motor cruiser ran aground north-west of Inchbofin Island near the eastern shore of the lake.

Lifeboat operations manager, Tony McCarth, assisted by shore crew, Bernard Larkin and Denis Begley, had Lough Ree Lifeboat The Eric Rowse launched and underway in less than 15 minutes, with crew members Stan Bradbury, Kieran Scullion, and Stewart McMickan on board.

The lifeboat crew were alongside the casualty vessel at 11.31am, checking that all on board were uninjured and wearing life jackets. The lifeboat crew established that the vessel was not taking on water before towing it off the sandy shoal to safe navigable water.

The boat’s equipment was confirmed to be in good working order and the two people on board were able to continue their journey to Lanesboro at the north end of Lough Ree. The lifeboat crew returned to the Lifeboat Station at Coosan Point.

At 3.15pm the volunteers were alerted again, this time to assist eight people aboard a hire cruiser aground north of the Black Islands at the north-east shore of Lough Ree.

The lifeboat crew reached the cruiser at 3.49pm and proceeded to conduct the usual checks before towing it to safety. The eight people on board then continued their journey south to Athlone and the lifeboat crew returned to the station.

Lough Ree RNLI lifeboat operations manager, Tony McCarth, said: “We were happy to be able to assist in both callouts today and to help these ten people continue to enjoy their weekend on Lough Ree.

“Heavy rain leads to poor visibility on the lake, which can make locating navigation markers difficult, even in calm conditions. We remind all users of the lake to ensure they check the weather forecast and seek local advice on likely conditions on the lake before leaving harbour.”


Page generated in 0.1221 seconds.