Head-banger jailed after Garda assault

A man who assaulted two gardai whilst on a suspended sentence was remanded in custody until July 13 at the District Court this week (May 27 ) to appear at the Circuit Court in Tullamore before the judge who initially handed down the suspended sentence.

The court heard how gardai were called to a disturbance in Sarsfield Square in the early hours of October 20, 2007 where they found Keith Greene (24 ), originally from Sarsfield Square, Athlone but now with an address in Cork, shouting and roaring in a very intoxicated manner.

Inspector Nicholas Farrell told the court how, when attempting to arrest him, Greene attempted to hit Garda Haugh but did strike Gardas Sexton and McNamara.

It took all three gardai to arrest Greene who, in the drive back to the station, was so agitated he caused himself an injury by banging his head off the inside of the garda van.

As he had pleaded guilty, Judge John Neilan sought a listing of Greene's previous convictions and was told he was serving a suspended sentence for robbery, handed down by Judge Adrian Kennedy in the Circuit Court on July 18, 2007 at the time of this offence.

Judge Neilan was also told that Greene had this sentence re-entered by the Welfare and Probation Service (WPS ) on December 2, 2008 on account of his not fully engaging with the WPS but had it re-suspended again for another 18 months by Judge Kennedy.

The court also heard how Greene, who is doing a FAS welding course in Cork at the moment, pleaded guilty five weeks ago to a number of unrelated public order matters in Moate and was on bail from those charges at the time of his court appearance.

“I'm surprised Judge Kennedy was not appraised of these offences,” said Judge Neilan.

“This is making a mockery of Judge Kennedy's ruling.”

From the witness box, Greene told the court he had been living with his brother in Cork for the last nine months and stayed out of Athlone “except to attend court”.

He admitted to alcoholism but claimed to be in recovery after two attendances at the now closed Harristown House, and was attending AA “three times a week” and the WPS in Cork.

His solicitor, Mr Padraig Quinn, sought an extension on bail but Judge Neilan wasn't having this, and remanded Greene in custody to Cloverhill Prison until the next sitting of the Mullingar Circuit Court (in Tullamore because of renovations ) on July 13 for Judge Kennedy to decide on a final course of action.


Page generated in 0.1261 seconds.