Man on rape charge released on €5k bail to Central Criminal Court

A man accused of rape was bailed from the District Court this week (May 27 ) on a €5,000 bond after he accepted a number of court imposed conditions, which included surrendering his passport and having no contact with the injured party.

Armando Vergali (26 ), an Italian national with an address at Cushla Grove, Athlone, was bailed to appear on July 1 when, according to the investigating officer Detective Garda Suzanne Nolan, it is expected Vergali will be served the Book of Evidence and given a date to appear at the Central Criminal Court in Dublin.

The defendant was arrested on Wednesday morning by appointment with Det-Garda Nolan in relation to the offence which was alleged to have occured at Cushla Grove on September 28, 2007.

Det-Garda Nolan told the court how Vergali, who is in full time employment and was assisted by a translator, had already surrendered his passport.

Judge John Neilan released Vergali on his own surety of a €5,000 bond, subject to a number of conditions, namely, he reside at the above address, have no contact with the injured party or any of the prosecution witnesses, not loiter around or near the residence of the injured party, and lead a sober and industrious life.

Judge Neilan asked Vergali if he had any contact with the injured party and he answered: “Si”.

“This is a very serious criminal charge,” said the judge.

“It is she who keeps calling me,” said Vergali.

He told the judge he believed the last contact was one month ago when she phoned: “to see how I was doing. She didn't want to see me in a bad condition”.

Det-Garda Nolan told Judge Neilan she did not believe the injured party was in contact with the defendant and told him she had left Athlone and “gone to a different county”.

Judge Neilan asked Vergali if he knew where the injured party was now living and again he answered in the affirmative.

“She told me in the phone call,” he said.

 

Page generated in 0.1255 seconds.