What’s hot for autumn/winter
True colours: Use powder blush in Rose Tan or Blue Pink to define your cheeks and lipstick in outrageously fun to bring warmth to your lips. All cosmetics from MAC at Brown Thomas.
* Chunky knits. These are big fashion news and come in check or patterned. If you want to make a more demure statement opt for a plainer variety and be assured you will still be a style setter.
* Baggy leather trousers. These are perfect for the party season, are comfortable to wear and are easy to mix and match.
* Shiny rainwear. Dark clouds are never far away so be sure to put buying a stylish raincoat at the top of your shopping list. It must be shiny and slick if you want to look as if you have just stepped off the catwalk.
* Western shirts. Think cowboys and the Wild West and you are spot on when it comes to the latest styles for shirt. Match these with cropped denims for a complete look.
* Psychedelic prints. Embrace your inner sixties child and choose something psychedelic this autumn in the knowledge that you will be in vogue.
* Oversized coats. Big is definitely beautiful when it comes to coats this season. Manly, double breasted and strong shouldered coats are all the rage. If these do not appeal consider opting for the more figure hugging, dressing gown style which is neater and favours the svelte.
* Belts. Get waisted the elegant way by using belts on everything from coats and jackets to trousers. They will give you a shapely figure.
* Polo necks. They are back with a bang and are popping up everywhere this season - under coats and dresses and shirts.
* Ornate brocade. This is making its presence felt too adding interesting detail to garments.
* Plaid. Red, black and white check are top trends this autumn/winter. Wear them sparingly or make a full statement.
* Velvet. It’s super soft, timeless and always looks elegant. You will not go wrong if you step out in a velvet trouser suit, coat, jacket or separates.
1. Begin with good pieces which work well for you and keep the look clean and simple. A great pair of trousers, a fitted jacket, a stylish skirt and a white shirt. These are the items which can provide a solid foundation for your wardrobe. Then look at the newer items, the velvets, the knits, the newly important oversized coat. Consider the variety of handbags also, the belts and boots and start to play the fashion game.
2. If you work from quality, classic-inspired items and then embrace current trends you will win both ways. Refined understated panache can move through to classic style with miminal effort and fuss.
3. If you want to keep abreast of the latest fashion trends opt for simple pieces in special fabrics. Items, such as leather trousers, velvet separates or chunky knits will stand on their own as wise buys or when combined are chic and adaptable.
4. If you want to cut a dash after dark choose something lacy or an outfit which shimmers or shines. Remember even rainwear is shiny this year. Luxury pieces and decorative fabrics come into their own at night.
5. Denim is perfect for work or play. To achieve waist definition use that number one accessory this season - the belt.