Goals galore light up the league

Claremorris bounced back from their crushing defeat at the hands of Ballyglass last weekend, with a stunning 6-4 win over Iorras Aontaithe. Goals certainly will not be a problem for the south Mayo men this season, as they produced a sparkling display on Sunday afternoon with last season’s Premier A top goalscorer Dean Roddy opening his Super League account with four goals. Hubert Kowalski and Simon Butler also fired home for Mark Peters' troops, in a game where they led 4-1 at the short whistle. In another game with a bagful of goals on Sunday, Ballina Town recorded a comprehensive 9-0 win over north Mayo neighbours Conn Rangers. It was the ultimate performance by Ballina with Keith Duffy grabbing four goals in a man of the match display. Brendan Lavelle chipped in with two along with efforts from Aidan O’Hora, Conor Quinn and former Castlebar Celtic frontman Paul Fitzpatrick.

Elsewhere, both Ballyglass and Ballyheane gained a share of the spoils in a tightly fought affair on Sunday afternoon as it finished 1-1 at Michael Keaveney Park. It was deadlocked at the break with Robbie Fadden nudging Ballyheane ahead, only for a Chris Maughan own goal to get Ballyglass back on level terms. Castlebar Celtic dished out a 4-0 defeat to Glenhest Rovers who are finding the going tough of late. Jordan Loftus bagged a brace, with Colm Nevin and an unfortunate own goal handing Ciaran Kelly his first league win. Manulla and Westport Utd remained deadlocked on Saturday night in a real humdinger at the Sports Park. An Anthony Elding penalty pushed Tom Healy’s troops clear early on only for Joe Lawless to claw Westport Utd back on level terms.

Castlecourt Premier League

Swinford burst Straide & Foxford’s bubble on Sunday afternoon as they claimed a hard earned 2-0 win with a double from James Devanney sealing the deal and in doing so jumped to third spot in the league. Achill Rovers were comfortable 4-0 winners over a depleted Fahy Rovers outfit at the weekend. Brandon McGing gave Achill the lead in the 18th minute following a threaded pass from Mark Davitt. The goals kept on flowing after the break with Kevin Lynchehaun firing home a stunning 35 yard effort and a penalty to push Achill three clear. Brandon McGing then added his second to seal the three points.

Bangor Hibs and Westport Utd B remained inseparable as they both gained a share of the spoils in a 2-2 thriller. Westport Utd B edged in front before break thanks to a strike from Tom McGing. Goal machine Brian McHale pulled one back for Hibs in the 60th minute, but the drama was only beginning to unfold. Westport Utd looked to have stolen the points in the 89th minute with David Foley on target, only for McHale to break their hearts deep into added time. Killala recorded a hard-fought 3-2 win over Charlestown Athletic to join S&F Utd at the summit of the league, with goals courtesy of Rory Gallagher, Richie Lynn, and David Cadden.

Tim Hastings Volkswagen League One

Crossmolina jumped to the top of the league after they carved out a hard earned point against north Mayo rivals Ballina Town B after a 1-1 draw in Belleek. Shane McKinley gave Crossmolina the lead midway through the first half, however Nigel Lackey equalised just before the break. Neither side could make the breakthrough on the resumption with Crossmolina’s Ian Gordon testing the woodwork with a pile-driver from 35 yards. Moy Villa recorded their second win of the campaign thanks to a 3-1 win away to Conn Rangers B on Saturday night, with Stephen Jackson, Luke Ruane, and skipper Digory Dixon who celebrated his birthday this weekend on target.

There were goals galore at Station Rise on Sunday afternoon as Ballyhaunis Town dished out a 6-2 defeat to Castlebar Celtic B. Jamil Kezze continued his fine form of late with a brace, along with efforts by Dylan Keadin, Keith Robinson, Robbie McCormack and Aiden McTigue putting a seal on the three points on offer.

Killeen Sportsgrounds League 2

Mulranny Utd recorded a comprehensive 7-2 win over Ballyvarry Blue Bombers on Saturday night to sit comfortably at the summit of the league. Elsewhere, Ballyglass and Newport Town remained dead-locked after it finished 2-2. Snugboro boosted their goal tally on Sunday afternoon thanks to a comfortable 10-0 win over Hollister.


Page generated in 0.0654 seconds.