Hollymount-Carramore make it back to the big time

Mayo GAA IFC Final; Hollymount-Carramore 0-11 The Neale 0-7

Up it goes: Hollymount-Carramore captain Darren Coen lifts the Sweeney Cup in MacHale Park. Photo:CG

Up it goes: Hollymount-Carramore captain Darren Coen lifts the Sweeney Cup in MacHale Park. Photo:CG

It wasn’t a classic, by any means, but Hollymount-Carramore won’t care a thing about that. When they hit the training field on the cold and wet nights in south Mayo at the start of this year, there was only one objective in their minds and they achieved that in MacHale Park on Sunday. After being on the losing side in last years final, they were determined to put that wrong to right and they did that with a hard working performance.

The victors second half display was the difference between the two sides who were locked level on five points each at the turn around. In the opening 25 minutes of the second half they outscored their neighbours by six points to no score and from then on it was a matter of seeing it out, which they did in a composed and confident manner. They did kick 14 wides over the course of the hour to The Neale’s six, further underlining their dominance on the field.

Right from the off, the victors could have had the ball in the back of the net after Clifford Connelly got in behind The Neale’s defensive cover, but Eoin Hughes got back to block his goal-bound effort. From the resulting 45 Ian Costello drove the ball over the bar to get his side off and running. The Neale almost got in for a goal themselves after five minutes but Niall Campbell saved well from Paddy Hopkins effort. Sean Cosgrove pointed the resulting 45’ to level the contest up. Hollymount-Carramore’s captain Darren Coen kicked his side back into the lead on eight minutes after turning neatly to find the space he needed to shoot, that was followed by a pointed free from Kevin Ferrick from tight on the right to put his side two clear. Aidan O’Sullivan responded for The Neale with a well taken score, but O’Sullivan along with Cosgrove failed to get into the game as much as their side needed, with Darren McHugh and Ray Connelly putting in a very good display in the Hollymount-Carramore full back line.

13 minutes before the break, Keelan McNamara broke through The Neale rearguard to register his sides fourth point, that was replied to by a Cosgrove free three minutes later. Hollymount-Carramore’s fifth point came from Ferrick on 24 minutes after some good work by Darren Coen. In truth if Hollymount-Carramore had been more clinical in front of the posts they would have been well clear, but as the wides mounted up, it gave The Neale hope of staying in touch and that’s exactly what they did in the closing stages of the half. Killian McHugh drove over from distance and right on the stroke of half time Robert Holian charged through and hoisted the ball over the bar to level the game up at 0-5 each at the short whistle.

The half-time break gave Hollymount-Carramore the chance to regroup and make sure that they weren’t going to end up on the losing side again this year. The totally dominated the play in the final 30 minutes and stretched out their lead to six points before The Neale registered a score in the final few minutes of the game.

Ian Costello opened their second half account with a well taken score from distance inside the opening minutes, nine minutes later Darren Coen pushed his side two clear with a free and two minutes later there was three between the sides after another Coen pointed free. Kevin Costello was the next to get in on the act with a well taken effort from out on the wing. Two pointed frees from distance by Ian Costello had Hollymount-Carramore tasting glory as the clock began to tick down to the final whistle. The Neale did manage to add on two scores before the end through McHugh and Cosgrove, but their race was run at that stage and the Hollymount-Carramore faithful urged on the final whistle. When it finally came, they invaded the field to celebrate with their hero’s, a victory that will be savoured for years to come around the villages of Hollymount and Carramore.


Hollymount-Carramore: I Costello (0-4, 2f, 1 45’ ), D Coen (0-3, 1f ), K Ferrick (0-2, 1f ), K Costello (0-1 ), K McNamara (0-1 )

The Neale: S Cosgrove (0-3, 1 45’ 2f ), K McHugh (0-2 ), R Hollian (0-1 ), A O’Sullivan (0-1 )

Hollymount-Carramore: N Campbell; R Connelly, D McHugh, D Ferrick; P Ferrick, B Sheridan, R Molloy; K McNamara, S Coen; K Ferrick, I Costello, K Costello; C Keane, D Coen, C Connolly. Subs: D Kelly for C Connolly, D Costello for C Keane, L Macken for R Connelly, A Fahey for K McNamara, O Gill for D McHugh.

The Neale: K Hennelly; D Morrin, D McGrath, S Morrin; P Casey, K McHugh, E Hughes; R Holian, J Biggins; P Walsh, S Ryan, S Conroy; P Hopkins, S Cosgrove, A O’Sullivan. Subs: J Duffy for S Conroy, J O’Donnell for P Hopkins

Ref: J Henry (Castlebar Mitchels )


Page generated in 0.0628 seconds.