Westport United move one step closer to the title

Westport United maintained their four point cushion at the weekend thanks to a facile 7-1 away win over relegated Straide and Foxford Utd. Both Mark McNally and Jamie Fallon bagged braces along with efforts from Pat Fitzgerald and Dave Cameron and an unfortunate own goal. It was plain sailing for the Covies throughout who had built up a comfortable 5-0 interval advantage.

Ballina Town meanwhile kept up the pressure on John Brennan’s troops when they scraped a 4-2 win over Ballyglass on Saturday night. With two games left and both sides to lock horns on the final weekend it keeps things interesting at the top of the tree. Jamie Cawley nudged Ballina Town ahead on seven minutes thanks to a cracking goal, however Ballyglass responded in glorious fashion as JP O’Gorman fired home after John Walsh’s effort had crashed off the crossbar. Dylan McKee who terrorised the Ballyglass defence all evening pushed Michael McNicholas’ side clear after Brendan Lavelle squared the ball inside. On the stroke of half-time Niall Leahy prodded home at the near post and it was becoming all too easy for Ballina. Ballyglass soon got to work and fashioned a brilliant goal as JP O’Gorman added his second of the night. However Ballina found a new gear in the closing period and put the game to bed as substitute Darragh Quinn flashed home a beauty on 83 minutes.

In the most eagerly awaited fixture of the weekend, Manulla did enough to see off rivals Ballyheane in a 2-0 win. Enda McGahon fired home a cracking free-kick, before they sealed the deal late on thanks to a late strike from Matthew Nolan. Conn Rangers maintained their rich vein of form of late with a comprehensive 5-1 win over Charlestown Athletic. Johnnie Cocozza grabbed a hat-trick along with efforts by Trevor Warde and Shane Burke. Castlebar Celtic were full of goals on Sunday afternoon as they easily dispatched of the challenge of Iorrais Aontaithe in a 6-2 win. Paul Moran grabbed a brace along with a flurry of goals from Paul Fitzpatrick, Colm Nevin, Ronan McTigue and Mark Howley.

Rovers seal promotion to top division

Killala and Glenhest Rovers played out a hugely entertaining 3-3 draw at the weekend, that result along with others elsewhere was enough to ensure that Rovers will be playing Super League football next season.

Swinford recorded a comprehensive 5-1 win over Fahy Rovers on Saturday night with Paddy O’Donnell firing home a hat-trick to go with strikes by Neil Fallon and Ian Price. Claremorris had a 3-2 win over Partry Athletic. Considering they came back from two goals down makes it all the more remarkable. Dean Roddy was the star of the show when he grabbed a stunning hat-trick.

Moy Villa and Castlebar Celtic played out an enthralling 3-3 draw on Saturday night. The Hoops led 2-0 at the break thanks to goals from Adrian Warde and Lin Say. Luke Ruane responded with a brace for Moy Villa before Say added his second for Celtic. There was still time for an equaliser as Patrick Keane ensured Moy Villa went home with a share of the spoils thanks to an 84th minute strike.

Westport Utd B picked up another three points on Sunday afternoon after they swept aside the challenge of Kiltimagh/Knock Utd in a 4-2 win. Mark McNally, Peter Corcoran, Ciaran McGovern and Jack Murphy all fired home for the Covies, with Liam Groarke providing the sole response for Kiltimagh/Knock Utd. 

All still tight at the top of Premier B

Brandon McGing was the hero for Achill Rovers on Sunday afternoon when he fired home in a 1-0 win over Bangor Hibs, to cap off a wonderful weekend of celebrations for the club. Manulla B recorded a 5-2 win over north Mayo side Conn Rangers B with Roger Clarke nailing a brace along with strikes from Des Campbell, Eddie Walsh, and James Cunningham.

Ballinrobe Town were made work hard for three points at the weekend as they were pushed all the way by a plucky Snugboro Utd outfit in a 2-1 win. Newport Town brushed aside the challenge of Mulranny Utd in a 4-2 win.

Crossmolina seal promotion

Crossmolina were comprehensive 9-1 winners of Snugboro Utd B at the weekend. Stephen Boyle had given Snugboro an early cushion but the goals soon flowed for Crossmolina. Brian Benson started the onslaught before Ian Gordon, Shane McKinley and Fionan Duffy all got on the score sheet. However, the main man was most definitely Derek Sweeney who nailed five goals in a man of the match display.

After landing the Connacht Gold Cup Challenge Cup last weekend it was back to the nuts and bolts of the league on Saturday night for Charlestown Athletic B who recorded a 4-3 win over Hollister. And they were made work for the three points on offer with Eddie Hanlon putting the seal on the win with an 85th minute winner. Michael Corrigan (2 ) and Donal Gavaghan were also on target for the east Mayo men. Kiltimagh/Knock Utd B fashioned an 8-3 win over Kilmore with a flurry of goals courtesy of braces from Robert Walsh, Dylan Roache, Gavin Groarke, and strikes from Christy Conlon and Darragh Condron. Ballina Town B recorded a 5-2 win over Ballyvarry Blue Bombers, while Ballyglass B defeated Fahy Rovers B 4-2.


Page generated in 0.1052 seconds.