United move closer to the title

Soccer: Mayo League round up

Westport Utd went one step closer towards retaining the league title on Sunday afternoon at a rain-swept Ballyglass where they recorded a comprehensive 5-2 win. Considering that Ballyglass went 1-0 up in the 13th minute and were also reduced to 10 men as referee Damien McGrath flashed red to Danny Scahill, Westport United showed great composure to grind out a result away from home.

Liam Hughes nudged Tom Connolly’s men clear when he tapped home from close range, but Westport upped the intensity levels as the razor sharp David Hoban notched up two goals in a blistering seven minute period. When Scahill headed for an early shower it seemed to have handed the initiative to Ballyglass, but the Covies showed great composure as second half goals from Darren Browne and Mark McNally sealed the win. Sandwiched in between Liam Hughes grabbed his second of the afternoon.

Castlebar Celtic edged out Charlestown Athletic in a 3-1 win at the weekend with hat-trick hero Paul Fitzpatrick the star of the show. He gave the Hoops and early lead and it was plain sailing from that point onwards, with a Michael Corrigan goal the only consolation for Charlestown Athletic who are stuck in a relegation dog-fight.

Ballina Town came from behind to see off a gutsy Iorrais Aontaithe outfit on Saturday night in a 2-1 win. Goals from Dylan McKee and Brendan Lavelle proved decisive in a hard-fought affair that keeps the North Mayo side in contention at the very least. Ballyheane were hugely impressive on Saturday night when they swept aside the challenge of Conn Rangers in a 6-3 win. Chris Maughan and Derek O’Brien grabbed braces, along with strikes from Daniel Purcell and Jack Tuffy, with Johnnie Cocozzoa keeping Conn Rangers in the hunt thanks to a hat-trick.

After defeating Ballyglass last weekend Manulla were full of confidence heading into their tie against Straide and Foxford Utd and they blitzed the East Mayo men in a 9-1 win. Sean Morrissey nailed a hat-trick, and both Gary Durkan and Conor Byrne grabbed braces to go with efforts from MJ Canavan and Shane Durkan in a hugely impressive display by Tom Healy’s men. 

Rain stops play in Premier A

As a result of the torrential rain at the weekend only a handful of Premier A games got the green light at the weekend. Both Westport Utd B and Swinford remained inseparable as they shared out the spoils in a 1-1 draw. Niall Price was on target for Swinford with Paul Geraghty firing home for the Covies. Partry Athletic remain hot on Claremorris’ heels as they cut the gap to a single point at the weekend. They defeated Fahy Rovers 4-0 in a clinical display. The three other games in the division fell foul to the weather.

Rangers clip Town's wings

Conn Rangers B put a dent in Ballyhaunis Town’s promotion hopes as they defeated the East Mayo men in a hard-fought 1-0 win. A Leeroy Nevin second half goal sealed the three points for Rangers. Bangor Hibs stretched their lead at the top of Premier B at the weekend thanks to an emphatic 9-0 win over Newport Town. Brian McHale continues to break all types of scoring records as he bagged six of the goals.

Achill Rovers and Snugboro Utd played out an enthralling 2-2 draw, with Snugboro racing into a 2-0 lead by the 60th minute thanks to goals by Joe McDonnell and Norbert Karol. Achill recovered and kept their promotion hopes alive with Chris Western and Kevin Lynch ensuring they went home with a share of the spoils. Manulla B recorded a 6-2 win over Ballinrobe Town.


Page generated in 0.0707 seconds.