Claremorris come good against the big boys

Soccer: Cup Review

After knocking out Ballyheane a couple of weeks ago many observers felt that Claremorris would not have enough in the tank to take out Ballina Town. They proved all their doubters wrong on Sunday afternoon as they booked their last four ticket following their 3-2 win over the Super League side in Concannon Park. Daniel Gorman had given Ballina an early lead with a smashing free-kick from 20 yards, but the south Mayo men regrouped and were rewarded as Dean Roddy opened his account after Simon Butler put him through on goal and it remained dead-locked at the break.

Roddy pushed Claremorris clear on 48 minutes when he tucked home a penalty after a handball. It did not take Ballina long to recover and Stephen Moyles fired home a cracking goal to draw his side level. Yet it was Claremorris that had the greater hunger and desire, as Andrew Peters bagged what turned out to be the winner on 56 minutes with a brilliant individual goal.

Castlebar Celtic followed up their comprehensive 6-0 win over Straide and Foxford on Thursday night last with a 2-0 win against arch rivals Ballyglass. Goals from Jordan Loftus and Paul Fitzpatrick were enough to see them home in a game where they dominated from pillar to post. Ballyglass squandered a number of gilt-edged opportunities at the death but the Hoops held firm.

Manulla were pushed all the way by a rejuvenated Conn Rangers side on Sunday afternoon. Enda McGahon gave Manulla an early cushion and McGahon was on fire again 15 minutes before the break and looked full value for their lead. Conn Rangers regrouped and Jamie Feeney cut the gap to the minimum on 65 minutes, but Shane Durkan sealed the win late on. Westport Utd had to come from behind to defeat a plucky Iorrais Aontaithe outfit at the Sports Park on Sunday afternoon. Goals from the fit again Dave Hoban (two ) and Darren Browne proved crucial for John Brennan’s men in a 3-2 victory.

Premier Cup progress

Stephen Patten was the hero for Mulranny Utd on Sunday afternoon as he grabbed a last minute extra-time winner over Achill Rovers. Both sides remained dead-locked at 2-2 after 90 minutes, and it was anybody’s game for the taking, with Adrian Grealish and Patten on target for Mulranny Utd in normal time while Terence Dever and Mark Davitt fired home for the islanders.

Conn Rangers B booked their semi-final spot with a hard fought 3-2 win over a game Killala outfit. No doubt the Touhy Cup final against Westport B was on Killala’s mind but they were not found wanting on Sunday. Shane Maughan grabbed a brace for Conn Rangers along with a Leeroy Nevin strike.

Ballyhaunis Town were 4-2 winners over a plucky Crossmolina outfit. The north Mayo men dominated the early exchanges as they raced into a 2-1 lead at the short whistle, but Ballyhaunis got back to work after the break and Kevin Byrne bagged a brace along with an Andrew Cunnane effort. In a hugely competitive affair Premier A leaders Glenhest had to dig deep to see off Bangor Hibs in a 1-0 win on Sunday, with Levi Barrett’s first half goal the difference.


Page generated in 0.1142 seconds.