New season kicked off in style

The big game of the opening weekend of the Mayo League Super League last weekend was the meeting of Westport United and Castlebar Celtic in the Sportspark only seven days after their Connacht Cup semi-final clash in Castlebar. The Covies came out on top this time around, despite going in trailing 1-0 at half time thanks to a Jason Hunt goal. But three second half strikes from Martin Geraghty and a Dave Hoban brace gave the hosts a 3-1 win.

Tomorrow evening Westport United were due to make the trip to Quigley Park to take on Ballyheane but the game has been postponed. Last years runners up, Ballyheane threw away a two goal lead with 11 minutes to go against Charlestown in the same venue as Pat Corrigan’s men scored two goals in two minutes to ensure the contest finished as draw. Damien Walsh had given the ‘Hane the lead six minutes in from a close range header and when Arek Tobiasz slotted home from close range the with 21 minutes left on the clock, Ballyheane , would have been confident his side would take the win. However, ten minutes later Tom Towey’s long range effort slipped into the net and two minutes later James Kilroy struck from close in to level the contest up.

Moy Villa kicked off their Super League run last Saturday night with the visit of champions Ballina Town to Attymass. The homeside put in a dogged performance against their more decorated neighbours and put Ballina to the pin of their collar over the 90 minutes. Brendan Lavelle put Ballina into the lead six minutes in with a neat finish. But the visitors weren’t able to add to their tally and in the final 20 minutes, Moy Villa laid siege to their goal. (Full report: ). The men from Attymass head for Castlebar tomorrow evening to take on a Celtic side that are struggling with injuries and niggles to some key players and with a Connacht Cup final on the horizon may have their mind on other things and if Moy Villa show the same attacking determination they did in the closing stages of their game against Ballina they will fancy putting it up to Celtic.

The other Saturday night game this weekend is the meeting of Charlestown Athletic and Fahy Rovers, while the hosts will be more than happy with their draw against Ballyheane in the last round, the Fahy men will be raring to go as it will be their first game of the new season following the postponement of their game against Iorras Aontaithe last weekend.

Second helping on Sunday

On Sunday, Ballina Town will not be be taking anything for granted when the tangerine machine from Straide and Foxford United roll in to Pete Murray Park. Last weekend in Carrowmore, Aidan Flatley’s side turned a 2-1 half-time deficit against Manulla into a 3-2 victory at full time. Conor Sherry put Straide and Foxford into the lead after 25 minutes, but Ben Freyne pulled Manulla level on the half-hour mark when he swept home a loose ball from close range. Manulla went into the lead seven minutes later when Michael Guilfoyle put the ball into his own net. Manulla held the lead until four minutes before time, when Michael Costello headed home a corner to level the contest up and a minute later Paul Fitzpatrick found himself in the clear and put the ball past James Jennings to grab the points for Straide and Foxford. That win following on a week after they claimed the Connacht Junior Shield has Straide and Foxford in flying form ahead of their meeting with the champions.

The final Super League game of the weekend is the meeting of the aforementioned Manulla and Iorras Aontaithe in Carramore. Manulla will be smarting from their late capitulation last time out, while Iorras will be dipping their toe in Super League action for the first time this season after their game last week was called off. Keep an eye on over the weekend for reports on some of the action from round two of the Super League.


Page generated in 0.1179 seconds.