Hollymount-Carramore steal it at the death

Mayo GAA U21a Semi-Final

Hollymout-Carramore 2-11

Aghamore 3-06

When Liam Groarke completed his hat-trick with 15 minutes left on the clock, Aghamore looked to be home and hosed in this game. The centre-half-forwards third goal of the night put his side 3-4 to 0-6 into the lead in a game they were commanding comfortably. But over the next 15 minutes, Hollymount-Carramore kept plugging away, while Aghamore took their foot off the gas and the south Mayo men outscored their opponents by 2-5 to 0-1. The deciding score came two minutes from time when substitute Declan Ferrick hit the back of the net from close range, after a scramble in the box. Ferrick’s goal put his side into a 2-9 to 3-5 lead and two more points from Darren Coen and Robert Molloy sealed the win, as a shell shocked Aghamore couldn’t find what was required to respond.

The first half was all Aghamore and 24 minutes in the led by 2-2 to 0-1 with both of their goals coming from the penalty spot. The first came a quarter of an hour in when full back Ristard Byrne’s barreling run upfield was stopped only when he was hauled to the ground inside the large rectangle. Liam Groarke stepped up and drover the ball into the top left hand corner with aplomb. Aghamore’s second spot kick came nine minutes later when Robert Lyons was fouled, in what looked like a soft decision by the referee. Groarke this time drove the ball straight down the middle. The amalgamated side did stir near the end of the half and put three points on the board to go in trailing by 2-3 to 0-3 at the break. David Macken and Conor Keane kicked early points for Hollymount-Carramore, but Aghamore still looked to have them well at arms length.

Once Groarke nailed his sides third goal, Aghamore took their foot off the gas. But credit to Hollumount-Carramore they kept plugging away and with 11 minutes left Conor Keane was on hand to drive the ball low into the net with a thundering drive after cutting in from the wing. That goal put four points between them and gave belief to the south Mayo men. David Macken kicked a point straight from the kick out following Keane’s goal, the Darren Coen had an effort that just crept over the cross bar, he followed that up with another effort that just about made it inside the left hand post and it was game on with three minutes left. Ferrick’s goal came next, followed by another brace of points for his side. All Aghamore could muster in responce was a point from Cathal Freeman three minutes into injury time from a free he looked to drive to the back of the net.

Hollymout-Carramore: M Moore; F Owens, L Ferrick, F Conroy; N Campbell, B Sheridan, R Bell; K McNamara, J Farragher; D Bell, R Molloy, D Coen; D Macken, D Coen, C Keane. Subs: D Ferrick, E Connor,

Aghamore: S Murtagh; N Freeman, R Byrne, M Morley; N Lyons, B Harrison, M Kilduff, E Sweeney, C Freeman; K Cassidy, L Groarke, D Lawless; D Duffy, K Robinson, R Lyons.


Page generated in 0.0830 seconds.