Mixed results for local competitors on Mayo Stages


The Mayo Stages Rally 2010 proved to be extremely tough for all competitors, especially for all the local crews. Out of the 26 local starters only 16 made it back to the McWilliam Park Hotel. A testament to how challenging the event was. First Mayo crew home were Mervyn and Derek Deane from Williamstown in their class 13 Ford Mark 2 Escort. They finished the day in 13th overall and third in class. An excellent result considering the stiff competition. Mervyn also picked up the coveted Eddie O’Hora memorial for the fastest Mayo modified crew home.

Gerry Ronan was next up. The Bekan man put in a sterling drive to finish an excellent 23rd overall and third in class eight.

In an incredible 40th overall Fiachra Moran and Shane O'Brien from Castlebar brought their pristine Ford Escort Mark 2 home third in class 12. This was an astonishing achievement for Moran as it was his first time competing in a rear wheel drive rally car. Just one place behind was Fergal Loughney from Killala. Loughney was navigating for Donegal man Pauric McGee and ably guided him through the Mayo Stages. The pair finished in 41st overall. Walter Burke from Williamston entertained his way to 46th overall. His sideways driving style in his Mark 2 Escort was a real crowd pleaser.

Ciaran Kennedy, co driven by Paul McGinnis, brought his red Honda Civic across the line in 48th overall and fourth in class. The crew thoroughly enjoyed the day. Hot on his heels was David Carney. The young Aughagower man piloted his Citroen C2 R2 to a fine 49th overall only seven seconds behind Ciaran Kennedy. Chrystal Culkeen from Castlebar was co-driving for Ruairi Maguire from Strabane, they finished in 52nd overall and seventh in class six

Niall Morley from Bekan was to be the next man home and was to be given the honour of being runner up in the Bekan Challenge.

Eoin McGreal with co-driver Jonathan Rice from Castlebar had a great day’s rallying. McGreal in his Vauxhall Chevette utilised all the horsepower under the bonnet of the car to finish in 63rd overall. He drove the door handles off it all day and was a crowd favourite as the Chevette usually came into view going sideways! Ballinrobe’s Matthew Murphy had John Burke shouting the notes. They were very happy with the result at the finish, the event 65th overall and seventh in class. Padraic Roche and co driver Paddy O'Hora from Killala came home in 68th overall and eighth in the very competitive class 12 on a welcome return to the stages. Coming home in 71st place was Kenneth MacHale from Knockmore, he swapped his driver’s seat for the navigator’s on the day and sat beside. But he did not swap his winning ways. He and driver Eamonn McCafferty took a start to finish victory in class five. They completed the rally with no back breaks and with two broken suspension units. Two places behind them in the class were Otto Gropler and Paul McGlinchey, the Killala man brought his Ford Ka home in 83rd overall. Gropler was closely followed by Justin Ryan, who only on his second rally put in a great controlled drive to finish in 84th overall. Justin’s co-driver for the day was his father John Ryan. John kept him on the straight and narrow.


Page generated in 0.0824 seconds.