O'Connor blows the title race wide open

Soccer: Mayo League

Title race: The Kiltimagh/Knock United team who saw off Ballyheane 3-1 last weekend. Photo: Kiltimagh/Knock United

Title race: The Kiltimagh/Knock United team who saw off Ballyheane 3-1 last weekend. Photo: Kiltimagh/Knock United

The race for the the Elverys Sports Super League title took a dramatic turn last weekend, when Kiltimagh-Knock United went to Quigley Park and came home with a 3-1 win.

The east Mayo outfit have been in fine form this season so far and their win has really thrown the title race open, leaving just three points between themselves and Ballyheane at the top of the table after both sides have played ten of their 18 games. The result has also brought a number of other sides back within striking distance of the 'Heane with third placed Ballina Town just four points off the top spot and both Castlebar Celtic and Westport United, who have games in hand on the top three, also poised to make a push if they take points from those games.

Kiltimagh/Knock United took the points last weekend thanks to a superb hat-trick from Jack O’Connor against Ballyheane in a great come-from-behind win, with Ballyheane leading 1-0 at the break thanks to a Nathan Reilly-Doyle goal five minutes into the game. O'Connor netted his first of the day from the penalty spot midway though the second half to level the game up after James McGrath had been fouled.

The hat-trick hero netted his second of the game after he applied a great finish to a Cormac Caulfield cross and he wrapped up his hat-trick in style when he lobbed the ball over the Ballyheane goalkeeper from distance to round off a big win for his side and the title race as a whole.

The two big traditional beasts of the league went toe-to-toe in the first of a couple of meetings they will have in the next few weeks when they clashed in Celtic Park and it was the hosts that took the spoils with a 3-0 win that has given them a shout at chasing down the leading pack at the top of the table if they can win their games in hand.

Luke Kelly put the 'Hoops in front early doors after he finished off a good move started by Jordan Loftus who sent Jason Hunt away to put in the cross finished by Kelly. Hunt grabbed their second goal 15 minutes into the second half, driving the ball low to the net after some good interplay in the build-up by Celtic. Hunt was involved again in Celtic's third goal - this time as provider once more - setting up Eoghan Hughes to fire the ball home and round off the win for Celtic.

Claremorris pulled themselves out of the relegation zone with a 3-1 win at home against Glenhest Rovers. The south Mayo side were trailing 1-0 at the break, but a Joe Slevin goal after he was picked out by a Jason Murphy cross saw them level it up. Cathal Walsh bagged their second of the day to go into the lead and Conor O'Keefe wrapped up the points with their third goal for their third win of the season.

Ballyhaunis Town slipped into the bottom two in the league despite picking up a point at home to Manulla in a game they had to come from two goals behind in to grab the point. Aiden Dunleavey and David McCracken got the early goals for Manulla, but when they were reduced to ten men after Ben Freyne was send off , the Station Rise side came right back into the game. Andy Cunnane cut the gap to just one goal before the half time break, and he levelled it up from a free kick to grab what could be a vital point for his side. Ballina Town were granted a 3-0 walkover for their game against Straide and Foxford United last weekend in what was the final game that was due to be down for decision.


Page generated in 0.0738 seconds.