Plenty still to be sorted out in intermediate groups

GAA: Mayo GAA Intermediate Football Championship

Keeping watch: Mark Durcan in action for Castlebar Mitchels B against Ardnaree last weekend. Photo: Mayo GAA.

Keeping watch: Mark Durcan in action for Castlebar Mitchels B against Ardnaree last weekend. Photo: Mayo GAA.

Once again the unpredictable nature of the Mayo intermediate championship raised its head again last weekend after a barnstorming weekend of action in the competition.

In group one Louisburgh made it two wins from two, backing up their win over Crossmolina Deel Rovers the previous week with a big 3-17 to 1-7 win over Lahardane MacHales to move onto four points in the group. Dylan Prendergast hit 1-5 with Shane Nallen getting four points and the other goals coming from Alan Moran and Oisin Lally. Shane Finnerty hit 1-3 for Lahardane but it wasn't enough as the Nephin men are facing into a tough battle to avoid a relegation play off when round three comes along.

The other game in the group saw the Deel Rovers shake off their disappointing start to hammer Bonnicolon 4-11 to 0-4 at home, right from the off the Deel Rovers took control of this game and never let it slip. They got goals from a brace of Conor Loftus penalties, with Jordan Flynn and Diarmuid Walsh also finding then net, while Fionan Duffy hit six points.

After three rounds, Louisburgh are on four points with Crossmolina and Bonniconlon on two and Lahardane yet to register a point, the final round of games will see Louisburgh face Bonniconlon in Islandeady and Lahardane face Crossmolina in Ballina.

There is going to be serious checking of scores in each game in round three of group two when it comes around as the group is is balanced on a knife edge. After last weekend both Burrishoole and Ballinrobe have three points on top of the table and Parke-Keelogues-Crimlin are on two points with Kiltane still to pick up a point.

Last weekend saw Burrishoole and Ballinrobe play out a frantic draw in McGovern Park thanks to Paddy Mulchrone's late equaliser for the hosts. Ballinrobe hit three goals through Ewan Duffy, Evan O'Brien and Kevin Quinn over the hour, while Jason Doherty hit six points for the hosts and Patrick Chambers chipped in with three.

Parke-Keelogues-Crimlin were pushed hard by Kiltane at home last weekend before eventually coming out on top on a score of 3-14 to 2-11 in Parke. Chris Kerins hit two goals for the hosts with Sean Sweeey bagging 1-2 and Ronan Carolan chipping in with five points, while for the visitors Mikie Doran bagged 1-2 and John Reilly got 1-1 with Adam Carrabine kicking four points.

The final round of games will see Burrishoole take on Parke-Keelogues-Crimlin in MacHale Park and Kiltane face Ballinrobe in Westport, where it will be all on the line for every side.

The race to make it to the last eight in group three is equally as fascinating with Castlebar Mitchels and Ballyhaunis on three points after two rounds, and Bohola Moy Davitts on two points and Ardnaree still to pick up a point.

Last weekend saw Ballyhaunis make the trip to Moyside to take on Bohola Moy Davitts and they went away with the points following a 2-13 to 1-11 win thanks to goals from Liam Herr and Cathal Carney and four and three points from Jason Coyne and Adrian Phillips respectively. For Moy Davitts Cian McHale kicked seven points and Brian Heneghan four, with Conor Reid getting the goal.

In the other game Ardnaree pushed Castlebar Mitchels B all the way, before the county town men emerged two point winners on a score of 0-13 to 0-11 in Josie Munnelly Park. Ben McHale kicked four points with Barry Redmond chipping in with three pointed frees from goalkeeper, while John Timlin and Seaghan Duffy both kicked four points for the Ardnaree men. In the final round of group games Mitchels will face Bohola Moy Davitts in Knockmore and Ardnaree will take on Ballyhaunis in Parke.

If the first three groups didn't have enough going on in them, then group four is as close as you'll get with all four teams, Kilmaine, Kilmeena, Hollymount-Carramroe and Kiltimagh, all locked level on two points after the first two rounds of action.

Last weekend saw the two sides who had lost in round one pick up wins to bring themselves right back into contention and leave the group on a real razor's edge heading into round three.

Kilmaine hit Kiltimagh for five goals in a 5-11 to 1-5 win in Kilmaine to give themselves a big hand if the group comes down to scoring difference. Tomas Fahy hit 3-1 with Jarlath Mullin getting 1-4 and Kevin Mullin also getting a goal for the south Mayo men in their comprehensive win.

The other game saw Hollymount-Carramore have three points to spare of Kilmeena in 'The Saucer' after Kilmeena had got off to a good start, but the hosts eventually won the game on a score of 1-12 to 0-12. Darren Coen hit 1-8 for the winners, with all of those scores coming from placed balls, while Darragh Keaveny kicked nine points for the beaten visitors from West Mayo.

The final round of games will see Kiltimagh face Kilmeena in Clogher and Kilmaine and Hollymount-Carramore do battle in Claremorris, in a final round where it will be all on the line for all four sides.


Page generated in 0.0949 seconds.