Westport push on to the final four

GAA: Mayo SFC QF; Westport 3-18 The Neale 3-8

Kicking Keegan:  Lee Keegan and his Westport team are into the last four. Photo: Sportsfile

Kicking Keegan: Lee Keegan and his Westport team are into the last four. Photo: Sportsfile

A strong second half showing saw Westport book their place in next weekends semi-finals following a ten point win over a brave The Neale side in MacHale Park on Sunday afternoon.

The westerners could have won the game by more spurning a number of early goal chances but they were more than value for the win and will look forward to locking horns with Breaffy for the second time in the championship this year next time out.

The Neale kept pace on the scoreboard with Westport early doors with just one point between the sides after 20 minutes with Westport leading 0-4 to 0-3.

Killian Kilkelly had kicked three points for Westport at that stage with Lee Keegan chipping in with one from deep, Sean Cosgrove slotted over two frees for the south Mayo men with Robert Holian getting the third.

By that stage Westport could have hit the next at least twice, but failed to convert after overelaborating and taking an extra pass when not needed.

They did find the net on 22 minutes when Kevin Keane scooped the ball to the back of the net after being set up by Mark Moran.

Moran, Kilkenny and Colm Moran all added points before the break - but there was still plenty of fight in The Neal with Cosgrove kicking a point and just before the break Fergal Sweeney followed in a Cosgrove effort that was dropping short and palmed it to the net to send his side in trailing on a score of 1-7 to 1-5 at the turn around.

The Neale got the second half off to a flying start with Tommy Conroy finding space and driving the ball home to push his side into the lead before a minute had gone on the stopwatch.

But that was as good as it got for his side as Westport worked their way up through the gears and dominated the game from there to the end with Colm Moran in particular putting in an outstanding display up front.

Westport kicked 1-6 unanswered over the next 12 minutes with Moran capping off a superb move started by Keegan who intercepted a pass aimed for Conroy and the ball was worked down the field at pace until it was dispatched to the net.

It was easy sailing for Westport from then on with Kilkenny grabbing their third goal late on, with The Neale’s third coming from Robert Holian after Conory’s penalty and rebound effort was well saved by Paddy O’Malley in the Westport goal.


Westport: K Kilkelly (1-6, 3f ), C Moran (0-6 ), M Moran (1-2 ), K Keane (1-0 ). O McLaughlin (0-2 ), L Keegan (0-1 ) E McLaughlin (0-1 )

The Neale: T Conroy (1-1, 1f ), R Holian (1-1 ), F Sweeney (0-1 ), S Cosgrove (0-4, 3f ), D Moran (0-1 )

Westport: P O’Malley; B Doyle, R Brickenden, B McDermott; P Lambert, L Keegan, J Walsh; B O’Malley, E McLaughlin; F McDonagh, M Moran, L Tunney; C Moran, K Kilkenny, K Keane. Subs: O’McLaughlin for Tunney; S Scott for F McDonagh; P Lambert for Paul Lambert; N McManamon for B Doyle; A Kennedy for K Keane.

The Neale: K Hennelly; D Morrin, M Varley, S Morrin; B O’Halloran, S Conroy, S Keane; D Kelly, D Moran; A O’Sullivan, F Sweeney, S Cosgrove; P Walsh, R Holian, T Conroy. Subs: P McGrath for Varley; A Flynn for D Morrin, D Keane for S Cosgrove, M Murphy for D Moran, Z Ferrick for S Conroy.


Page generated in 0.0736 seconds.