Heartbreak for Manulla in Connacht Cup Final

Soccer: Mayo League

Beaten at the death: Manulla fell to a late goal in the TP Brennan Cup Final last weekend.

Beaten at the death: Manulla fell to a late goal in the TP Brennan Cup Final last weekend.

It wasn't to be for Manulla in Eamonn Deacy Park last Sunday in the TP Brennan Connacht Cup Final.

The Carramore outfit were beaten by an injury time goal by Corrib Rangers to seal the tie. Stephen Gilmore rose to head a corner late on and the ball deflected off the unlucky Chris Maughan and into the back of the net. Manulla had a number of chances in the game but were thwarted on a number of occasions by Rangers goalkeeper Thadgh O'Malley. Manulla will now have to dust themselves off and get ready to keep up their challenge for the Super League when they get back to action next weekend.

Duffy delivers in the ballot box and minding the penalty box

While his votes were being counted in the local elections in the count centre in Castlebar, Ballina Town's Mark Duffy was manning the goal for Ballina Town on Saturday night against Westport United.

Jamie Cawley put Ballina ahead early on with a lobbed finish after being sent clear by Dylan Edwards, he was also the provider for the second goal, setting up Benny Lavelle to round off a 2-0 win for the league champions against the Covies.

Castlebar Celtic kept pace with champions when they saw off Ballyglass by the odd goal in nine in a thriller in Celtic Park. Jason Hunt put Celtic one up early on, that was cancelled out by JP O'Gorman not long after, the Ballyglass striker put his side ahead - before Hunt levelled it up from the penalty spot. The Celtic marksman completed his hat-trick early in the second half to put his team back in front and then bagged his fourth not long after to put Celtic 4-2 up. The Keaveney Park men weren't giving up easily though and Riain Connolly made it 4-3, but it was to be Hunt and Celtic's day as he made it 5-3 with 25 minutes to go. Matt Hamilton cut the gap back to just the single goal with 20 minutes left on the clock - but that was the end of the scoring as Celtic held on to their 100 per cent record and joined Ballina Town at the top of the table and they still have two games in hand on the league leaders.

Snugboro United picked up their first league win of the season with a 2-0 win over bottom of the table side Straide and Foxford United in Conway Park. Player manager Aaron Curry put the 'Boro in front early on and Peter Minogue's goal sealed the points for Snugboro United to get their drive to avoid relegation up and running. That win has seen them pull level with Ballyhaunis Town on four points after the east Mayo men were beaten 4-3 by Claremorris in Concannon Park. Ronan Mikuckis hit a hat-trick for Claremorris to seal the points. Mikuckis and Gary Higgins swapped goals early on, but two more goals from Mikuckis and one from Oisin Brady had Claremorris 4-1 up early in the second half. Ballyhaunis weren't going to bend the knee that easily though and they fought back and goals from Higgins and Samson King had the gap back to a single goal - but they were unable to grab a fourth to share the spoils.

In League One Killala saw off Castlebar Celtic B 6-2 with Rory Gallagher bagging himself a hat-trick, Partry Athletic picked up their fourth win on the bounce with a 6-2 win against Ballyglass B with Ciaran Hennelly hitting a hat-trick and Jonathan Lawrence bagging a brace. Crossmolina had three goals to spare over Westport United B coming back from going 2-0 down early on to win 5-2, with Kevin Campbell finding the back of the net twice for them.

In the bottom division Kilmore got their first three points of the season with a 2-1 win over Snugboro United, Moy Villa thrashed Kiltimagh-Knock United B 7-1 with Luke Ruane getting six of their goals - the other game in the division saw Ballyvary Blue Bombers hold Newport-Mulranny Wanders to a 0-0 draw.

In the Tuohy Cup, Fahy Rovers reached the last four thanks to a 2-1 extra time win over Achill Rovers, Darren Creaby and John Keane were the goalscorers for Fahy. Iorras Aontaithe saw off Manulla B 6-3 with Brendan Nallen hitting four goals. Glenhest Rovers saw off Ballina Town B 4-1 to book their final four spot. In the final quarter final, Conn Rangers came from two goals down to beat Kiltimagh-Knock United 4-3.


Page generated in 0.0729 seconds.