As we all know by the constant headlines and recent images, flash flooding is an increasingly common problem in Ireland, and its effects are always devastating for its victims. With both the offer of millions from a flood relief fund and rise in insurance claims, concern over cowboy operators comes to the fore.
The use of qualified companies and technicians to tackle flood restoration is essential if the work is to be done correctly and eliminate the need for further repairs due to the work not having been conducted correctly in the first instance.
Aspray, a property insurance claims management and repair company, have put together a brief guide for those who may be coping with the aftermath of the recent floods, or anyone who may be expecting the worst in light of this winter’s unforgiving weather forecast.
1. Do not enter your flood-damaged home/ commercial property without authorisation from the police or local officials.
2. Call your insurance company. Call Aspray, who can liaise with your insurance company and loss adjuster on your behalf. This is a free service to insured property owners.
3. Once your property has been declared ‘safe’, enter with caution. An Aspray representative will come along and assess damage and liaise with a loss adjuster, depending on the extent of the damage.
4. Damaged septic tanks must be serviced as soon as possible. Damaged sewage systems are serious health hazards. Aspray will advise and instruct necessary technicians from their pool of flood experts.
5. Clean, dry, and disinfect anything that came into contact with flood water. Every drop of flood water is contaminated with sewage and chemicals, and left to its own devices it has the power to destroy your home with a concoction of mildew, toxins and bacteria. In order to prevent permanent damage, not to mention adverse effects on human health, you’ve got to have the area dried and cleaned as fast as possible. Aspray’s team of reputable flood technicians remove water with a thermo dynamic action before installing drying equipment, dehumidifiers and air movers. Finally a full anti-microbial decontamination will be introduced to eradicate toxic mould before a full drying and monitoring process is implemented.
6. Ensure the property is thoroughly dried out before a full restoration program commences. Aspray will then instruct their team of builders, joiners, and decorators to restore your property to even better than its original state.
Aspray is keen to let flood victims know there is free support readily available from trained experts in this field, who are recognised by any reputable insurance company, who not only deal with the technicalities involved but also offer emotional support and reduce stress levels by guiding them through the entire process.
Contact Asprey’s free helpline on 1800 932 906.