Fire in The Snug leads to customer evacuation

Customer appreciation night planned for Friday, December 6

A fire which started before midnight on Saturday in The Snug Bar on the west side of Athlone resulted in the complete evacuation of the pub as the safety of customers present was immediately addressed.

Speaking this week, The Snug proprietor, Gillian Nugent, stated that the safety of their customers was an absolute priority once a small fire started on the premises.

“There was a small fire which we managed to put out immediately but we needed to clear the pub to ensure everyone’s safety until the fire services arrived and inspected the building. We are so proud of all our wonderful customers who left the premises so calm and patiently on the night and in recognition of this, Michael and I have organised an appreciation night to express our gratitude and appreciation on Friday, December 6,” Gillian remarked.

Gillian noted that it was an extremely busy night in The Snug with a 21st birthday celebration taking place in the function room, coupled with customers enjoying the front bar and beer garden.

“The atmosphere was brilliant and everyone was enjoying a great night out. The crowd were amazing and left so calmly via the emergency exits. There was no commotion or panic and even the fire officers commented on what a fantastic job we did evacuating such a big crowd in such a calm and organized manner,” Gillian continued.

Gillian paid immense credit to electrician, Brian Shanagher and the ESB who worked earnestly to ensure that the pub re-opened for business on Sunday at 4pm.

“Our incredible staff, family, friends and customers have all just blown us away with their help, support and general goodwill over the last few days and in that regard we will be forever grateful,” Gillian concluded.


Page generated in 0.1109 seconds.