Conflicting results as Willow Park advance in cup competitions

The old adage ‘two out of three ain’t bad’ proved true for Willow Park at the weekend as double success was garnered for the club’s Over 35s squad and CCFL team in their respective cup competitions. However, the DPD Park based first team bowed out of the Metropolitan Cup in the first round as opponents, Newtown Rangers, overcame a three goal half time deficit to advance to next stage of the competition.

Making their inaugural appearance in the LFA Over 35s cup, the experienced Willow Park squad advanced to the semi-final of the competition with a cohesive and dominant team performance, resulting in a comprehensive winning scoreline (6-1 ).

Dotted with moments of ill-temper, a brace of goals from both Peter Sherlock and Gary Murphy, which were complemented by Brian Caldwell and Colly Hyland strikes either side of the interval, ensured the home team sealed their place in the last four of the prestigious cup competition.

Both played on Sunday morning, there were different outcomes for the club’s senior teams. An early start for the club’s LSL squad saw David McGuinness and Declan Holohan’s charges travel to Tallaght for a first round Metropolitan Cup fixture against Newtown Rangers, but despite enjoying a comprehensive interval lead (3-0 ), courtesy of two Noel McGee goals and a Kieran McNally effort, Willow’s attacking prowess failed to materialise in the second half and they succumbed to a 4-3 loss.

The CCFL senior division fared better in their FAI Junior Cup encounter at home to Kilcock Celtic. Trailing by two goals at half time (2-0 ), a sterling second half performance saw the team’s efforts rewarded when Kieran Coakley and Declan Fallon netted to send the contest to extra time, before penalties ensued. Calm heads on experienced shoulders saw Willow Park edge to victory in the shoot out and a place in the next round of Europe’s largest amateur football cup competition.


Page generated in 0.0984 seconds.