The west was awake this weekend

GAA: Mayo Club Championships

Castlebar Mitchels booked their place in the county senior final thanks to a solitary point victory over Knockmore in McHale Park semi-final. The Mitchels were put to the pin of their collar late on when Knockmore drew level through Aidan Kilcoyne point. Mitchels sub Kevin Filan kicked a fine score from near the end line on the stand side of the field. The Mitchels man was red carded for an off the ball incident seconds later. Richie Feeney broke though on the kick out from Filan's score and landed a huge point to put Castlebar two clear. Kevin O'Neill who didn't start the game due to an injury had a late chance for a goal from 25 yards out from a free but he could only blaze it over the bar to cut the gap to one before final whistle.

Castlebar led at half time by 1-3 to 0-4 with Neil Douglas scoring the vital goal with seven minutes gone when he got a hand on the ball after it broke loose in the danger area. Knockmore who were already down the services of Kevin O'Neill lost Declan Sweeney to injury in that passage of play,

Ballintubber were destroying Shurle Glencorrib at the break in the second senior leading by 1-7 to 0-2. Midfielder Jason Gibbons scored the goal for James Horan's side when he drove through the middle unchallenged to finish at the second attempt. They made work hard for themselves in the second half only scoring a solitary point in the final 30 minutes. Shrule managed to tack on four points in the second half but they weren't able to convert their possession into the scores they needed to haul back in Ballintubber. Jason Gibbons in midfield and Alan Plunkett at wing forward put in man of the match displays for the winners.

All three county finals this year will be all west Mayo affairs, with Burrishoole and Tourmakeady booking their spots in the intermediate decider in McHale Park on Saturday night, while in the junior Parke will square off against Islandeady in that decider


Page generated in 0.1006 seconds.