Ballina Town clinch title after eight goal haul

Mayo Soccer Round Up

Ballina Town claimed the Tom Kelly trophy at home on Sunday thanks to an 8-1 win over Fahy Rovers in Pete Murray Park. Brendan Kenny's side's 14th win of the season was wrapped up thanks to five goals from star striker Michael Duffy, two from Brendan Lavelle and a single strike from Ross Kenny. Town went through the season unbeaten at home and picked up 44 points from their 18 games to claim the title after knocking at the door for the past couple of seasons.

Westport United were the only side capable of stopping Ballina claiming the title, but their challenge went up in smoke when they lost 3-0 to Iorras Aontaithe in Carnenash. That win put Iorras into second place at the moment, but Westport United can still take back second spot in the table with a win in their final game a rearranged fixture against Snugboro United. The 'Boro went down 4-0 at home to Manulla today which wrapped up fourth place in the table. The other games in the Super League saw Straide and Foxford United go one better than Ballina Town by running out 9-1 winners over the already relegated Kilmore at Green Road. Castlebar Celtic finished their season off in style with a 2-1 win over Ballyheane in a Castlebar derby

Westport United B took the Premier Division title in the Sportspark when they hammered Manulla B10-1 to confirm finish ahead of the promoted Swinford in the final table. (Westport United B can't go up as their A side is already in the Super League ). Swinford whom still have a game in hand saw their title challenge falter as they drew 2-2 with Partry Athletic. Castlebar Celtic B were relegated to the first division after going down 5-3 against Claremorris in Concannon Park, while Bangor Hibs saw off Crossmolina in a nine goal thriller which finished 5-4. The last game in the division saw Ballinrobe see off Iorras Aontaithe 3-0 at the Green.

In the Welcome Inn Hotel Division 1, Ballyglass had already claimed the title last weekend and wrapped up their season with a 1-0 win over Ballyheane B who finished bottom of the table. Clew Bay United and Achill Rovers drew two a piece, while Mulranny went down 2-1 to Inver United while Kiltimagh-Knock United saw off Killala by the solitary goal in the contest. In Division 2, there were four teams who still had the chance of lifting the title, but the honor fell to Moy Villa. The north Mayo men claimed the title thanks to a 9-0 win over Snugboro United at home. Charlestown who were also chasing the title saw off Claremorris B 3-2, and Conn Rangers wrapped up second spot in the table thanks to a facile 11-0 win over Ballina United, while Glenisland went down 3-2 at home to Swinford.

Westport United C picked up the Division three title to complete a good day for the Sportspark club with the B and C teams making up for the disappointment of their A side surrendering their Super League title.


Page generated in 0.1238 seconds.