Shrule-Glencorrib send Breaffy packing

County Senior Football Championship

Captains run: Trevor Mortimer played the captains role for Shrule-Glencorrib in the championship last weekend. Photo: Sportsfile.

Captains run: Trevor Mortimer played the captains role for Shrule-Glencorrib in the championship last weekend. Photo: Sportsfile.

Shrule-Glencorrib 0-12

Breaffy 0-9

Shrule-Glencorrib finally made their way out of the group stages of the county senior football championship for the first time since they reached the county final in 2005. And in the process they eliminated the side who knocked them out of last years championship in dramatic fashion in the last round of games in the group stage. It was a do or die battle for last years league champions who hadn't won a single game all season and needed to win to leave something to play for,for the rest of the season. But it was not to be as they limped out of the championship at the hands of an efficient without being pushed to hard Shrule-Glencorrib side.

This game was in the balance on the scoreboard until death, even if there was never really a doubt on the field that Shrule-Glencorrib had it in them to pull out what they needed for the win at any stage. Conor Mortimer opened the scoring four minutes in with a nice score from out on the left hand side of the field, his strike was cancelled out by Aidan O'Shea who arced over a fine score with his right boot under pressure 21 yards out three minutes later.

Trevor Mortimer who had a fine game as the lynchpin of his sides attack managed to break through on goal shortly after when Eoin Ronaldson played him in. Mortimer drove a shot goal wards with power which Robert Hennelly in the Breaffy goal did well to save and direct over the bar for a point. Peter Dravins who put in a good display for Breaffy landed a fine point to level the game up 12 minutes in and a minute later Seamus O'Shea scored a fine point to put the home-side into the lead.

Conor Motimer from a placed ball made it all square again, before the dangerous Mark Ronaldson got his name on the scoresheet for the first time with a fine score from the right under pressure. Three minutes before half time the south Mayo men had a double score lead thanks to points from Ronaldson and Conor Mortimer who pounced on a ball lost by the Breaffy defense as they tried to break out . Peter Dravins and Mark Ronaldson then swapped scores before the break to leave the Shrule-Glencorrib men leading by 0-7 to 0-4 at half time.

Breaffy came out of the dressing room a few minutes before their opponents for the second half and waiting around for their opponents didn't seem to do them much harm as they landed the first two scores of the game to leave only one point between the sides. The first score came from Matthew Conroy from close in following some neat build up play, the second came from the boot of Rory Martyn who took on the responsibility to have a cut following some close quarter hand-passing by the Breaffy attack as they tried to create and opportunity.

Two quick fire pointed frees from Conor Mortimer within the space of 180 seconds pushed the gap out to three points again, before Peter Dravins drove over a huge free off the ground ten minutes into the second half, Breaffy went after Shrule again for the next five minutes knowing the next score would be vital, but they couldn't hit the target. Mark Ronaldson was pushed his side three points ahead again with a free kick with a quarter of the game left to play, and Eoin Ronaldson got the insurance score to put four points between the side a minute later.

Breaffy rolled the dice and threw on a number substitutes and one of them made an instant impact when he broke down the right hand side of the field and punched over within a minute of his introduction, Marty McNicholas landed a free from the right and a goal would do it for the home side, but they failed to create the guilt edged opportunity they needed and when Trevor Mortimer rounded of the scoring a minute before the end, that was the end of the Breaffy challenge.

Breaffy: Robert Hennelly; Kevin Scahill, David Gavin, Micheal Jennings; Karol Jennings, Colm Jordan, Eoin Carney; Seamus O'Shea, Finín Canavan; Rory Martyn, Mathew Conroy, Aidan O'Shea; Declan Jennings, Marty McNicholas, Peter Dravins. Subs: Alan Durcan for Declan Jennings (47 minutes ), Gerard Hughes for Finín Canavan (38 minutes ), Eddie Conroy for Karol Jennings (48 minutes ), Ronan Conway for Matthew Conroy (58 minutes )

Shrule-Glencorrib: Pat Conroy; Pat Hyland, Ronan Walsh, Conor O'Dowd; Darryl McTigue, Kieran Conroy, Neil Sullivan; Kieran Walsh, James Lohan; Sean Sweeney, Trevor Mortimer, Mark Ronaldson; Eoin Ronaldson; David Geraghty, Conor Mortimer. Subs: Brian Murphy for Sean Sweeney (38 minutes ), Dermot Geraghty for Neil Sullivan (43 minutes ), Liam Garvey for Eoin Ronaldson (49 minutes ), David Fitzgerald for Trevor Motimer (60 minutes )

Ref: Ronan Gurren (Aghamore )



Page generated in 0.1095 seconds.