Major grants available for home improvements

More than €1 million will be available to Galway city householders to allow extensions to be built in private homes for people with a disability as well as housing adaptations to improve mobility aid for the elderly.

The money is being made available through the Government’s Housing Adaptations for Older People and People with a Disability, and Fine Gael city councillor John Walsh is “encouraging householders to avail of the very generous assistance”.

The grants are 80 per cent funded from the Exchequer, with the remaining 20 per cent coming from the Galway City Council. Grants are payable in the main to owner-occupied private housing. Also eligible are houses being purchased under the Tenant Purchase Scheme. Grants of up to €30,000 are available for an adaptation, up to €8,000 for housing aid for older people, and up to €6,000 for mobility aids.

“This funding is part of the Government commitment to housing and provides significant social benefit by facilitating citizens to continue the independent occupancy of their own homes,” said Cllr Walsh. “The funding will allow all local authorities to increase the number of citizens they can support and, in addition, will provide a boost to the construction sector, with the benefits being spread to the local economy”.

Advertisement

 

Page generated in 0.1642 seconds.