For more than half the adult population Christmas shopping turns into ‘Stressmas’, according to a recent survey. The Royal Mail research found that more than a third of Christmas shoppers would rather visit the dentist! While shopping can be stressful for women, spare a thought for the 25 per cent of all Irish men who will purchase a perfume or beauty product for their loved ones.
“A large number of men simply don’t know where to start and dread choosing something that she might not like,” according to Dr Audrey Kinahan of University Late Night Pharmacy.
“Women definitely want to go somewhere with a large selection and try and sample lots of products before making their decision,” said Audrey, speaking at the launch of Lancôme, Clarins, and Biotherm at University Late Night Pharmacy. “Men tend to spend less time and seek out expert advice to help them choose.”
While the recession looms large, women still expect to be treated at Christmas and special occasions. “The demand for our luxury fragrance brands like Chanel and Viktor & Rolph, or for Lancôme hampers, is still very strong,” said Audrey. “But people are definitely looking for extra value such as our free gifts with purchase or discounts on certain lines.”
To help take the stress out of buying perfume, University Late Night Pharmacy is offering the following ‘dos and don’ts’ for men who want to surprise their loved ones this Christmas:
• Do find out what fragrance or cosmetics she already uses.
• Don’t buy the same perfume gift every year. It may be the safe option but it’s too predictable and may indicate a lack of imagination.
• Do listen to her hints. If she really wants a certain fragrance she will subtly let you know.
• Do ask for expert advice— if you are not sure don’t take a wild guess.
• Do buy her body products — fragranced body lotions, scrubs, body creams, and shower gels to complement her perfume will be greatly appreciated.
• Do have your gift expertly wrapped. Presentation is everything — make sure it is exquisitely wrapped and presented in a nice gift bag or box. It really adds to the sense of occasion when she receives it.
• Do consider fragrance hampers or gift boxes. A selection of fragrance products can be custom made in a hamper to her personal tastes. This shows imagination and thought, and you can still play safe and buy her a brand she uses.
• If you still can’t decide then give her a gift voucher so she can choose a beauty product or treatment for herself.
For more expert advice on perfume and cosmetics visit University Late Night Pharmacy, Units 1-2 University Halls, Newcastle Road, Galway.