Cooking experience: Scotty, originally from Columbus, Ohio, started off as a dishwasher in a steakhouse and went on to work in five star French restaurants and hotels in the US and in Europe. He met his wife Jenny Silke in chef school in Boston and followed her to Galway 20 years ago, together they set up a deli in Munster Avenue at the back of a fruit and veg shop which belonged to Jenny’s father. Following from the deli’s success they set up Scotty’s Casual Gourmet in Middle Street. They then moved to a restaurant at Glasan near GMIT before setting up Scotty’s Steakhouse. “This steakhouse is the culmination of a lot of dreams. We cook to order using quality ingredients in an impeccably clean environment and with friendly service,” says Scotty.
Cooking style: I’m a bit of a rustler, a no frills cowboy. We’ve gone back to the basics here by using the finest Irish Angus beef and cooking it over an open flame. We’re Galway’s meat and potatoes, everything from a hot dog to a porterhouse steak.
Favourite celebrity chef: Anthony Bourdain, the author of Kitchen Confidential. He’s Gordon Ramsey’s favourite, a real rebel who exposes the real workings of a kitchen.
Classic surf and turf
- Select an 8oz rib eye or sirloin steak. Pan fry in hot oil for three to five minutes each side (for medium rare, add more time if desired ). Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Clean, peel, and de-vein four to six fresh Atlantic prawns. Saute next to steak for two to four minutes.
- Remove steak to platter. Add a knob of soft butter and a half tablespoon of minced garlic, a dessert spoon of white wine, and reduce for one minute.
- Place prawns on steak platter, coat with sauce.
- Serve appropriate vegetables and potatoes and enjoy.
Scotty’s famous chocolate chip cookies
Cream - 8gs of butter, one cup of brown sugar, one cup of white sugar, with two eggs. Add half tablespoon of bread soda mixed with a little warm water. Slowly beat in three cups of cream flour. Add one cup of chocolate chips.
Scoop and bake at 180 degrees for 14 to 16 minutes.
For more information or to make a booking contact Scotty’s Steakhouse at Cuirt na Coiribe, Headford Road (opposite Dunnes Stores ), on 091 751006.
Opening times are 12pm to 10pm Tuesday to Saturday and Sunday lunch.