Pioneer of the all day property auction regionally, Galway’s leading auctioneer O’Donnellan & Joyce saw its 10th all day auction reach property sales of €5m last Friday, a bumper catalogue, and a start for vendors and buyers with investors and first time buyers out in force.
From early morning there was a race to leading auctioneer Colm O’Donnellan’s auction room at the Harbour Hotel with first time buyers, investors and holiday home seekers keen to get the best seats in the auction room to bid for their preferred property such was the value, property styles, and locations on offer from Galway to Donegal. Prior to the white flag being raised on today’s auction 1,000 acres of forestry land in Mayo and Donegal sold for an undisclosed sum.
Fifty properties went to auction, with first time buyers keen to grab the value in starter homes and investors equally eager to pick up properties close to NUI Galway, UHG and Galway city centre. Holiday homes in some of the west of Ireland’s most scenic destinations also attracted very competitive bidding. Coming up to lunch time a bidding war ensued among four potential holiday home seekers for the lovely Beach Cottage, a four bed bungalow in the stunning location of Ballyconneely in Connemara. Colm O’Donnellan’s hammer finally fell at a record price of €328,000.
Holiday homes in Donegal were popular in the morning session also. A cosy two bed cottage in the scenic Glengesh close to the heritage town of Ardara saw a very happy buyer secure the property for €35,000. There was great value on properties in Donegal, Mayo, and Roscommon, while a two bed apartment in the west end of Galway city centre saw much interest from investors, with it finally selling at €130,000.
It was the afternoon session which saw the biggest crowd and the most intense bidding with the energy high in the room from 2pm with buyers keen to get their hands on the first lot of the afternoon. The stunning centrally located four bed terraced house at No 4 Presentation Road, Galway, was extremely popular. Following an immaculate refurbishment to its interior, interest was huge with it finally selling for €404,000. Another star property of the afternoon was a three bed detached house on a beautifully mature garden site in Loughrea. Boasting uninterrupted views of Loughrea Lake, families were keen to get their hands on this property which finally sold for €410,000.
There was fiercely competitive bidding among investors for properties from the Newcastle area of the city which has NUI Galway and UHG on its doorstep. A five bed detached house at No 10A Newcastle Road sold for €270,000. Close by at No 20 Inchagoill Road, also in Newcastle, another five bed detached house sold for €375,000. Both properties were ideal as family homes, and for investors they present virtually instant rental income such is the demand for rental properties in this area of Galway city.
“Overall a very good day for vendors and buyers,” said Colm O’Donnellan. “The auction room was full from early morning with bidders intent on buying whether in Donegal, Mayo, or Roscommon, where the value for money was excellent, or Galway city where first time buyers and investors competed equally for their desired properties.”
Below is a full list of the results from last Friday’s O’Donnellan & Joyce auction.
1. No 1 Carraig Palmer, Salthill, €133,000.
2. No 18 Galway Bay, Salthill, €125,000.
3. No 14 Arasain Na Mara, Salthill, €117,000.
4. No 73 Cois Na hAbhainn, Ballygaddy Road, Tuam, €85,000.
5. D’Alton Street, Claremorris, Co Mayo, POA.
6. No 38 Greenfields, Convoy, Co Donegal, €47,000.
7. Glengesh, Ardara, Co Donegal, €35,000.
8. No 3 Altan, Western Distributor Road, €147,000.
9. No 15 Clan House, Upper Dominick Street, €130,000.
10. No 6 Oakfort House, Oaklands, €131,000.
11. Gortnamannagh, Kilchreest, Loughrea, €35,000.
12. No 17 Cúl An Áith, Barna, €270,000.
13. Apt 1 Castleplace, Stranorlar, Co Donegal, €25,000.
14. No 12 Sailín, Wellpark, Galway, €120,000.
15. Land at Kilreekil, Loughrea, €20,000.
16. Charlestown Road, Ballaghaderreen, Co Roscommon, €35,000.
17. No 27 Riverside Apts, Castlerea, Co Roscommon, €15,000.
18. Old Rectory, Ballyshannon, Co Donegal, €80,000.
19. Ballyglunin, Monivea, Co Galway, €140,000.
20. Beach Cottage, Ballyconneely, €328,000.
21. No 4 Presentation Road, Galway, €404,000.
22. No 10A Newcastle Road, Galway, €270,000.
23. No 3 Gort na Bró, Western Distributor Road, €200,000.
24. No 20 Inchagoill Road, Newcastle, €375,000.
25. No 17 Whitestrand Road, Salthill, €350,000.
26. No 59 Rivergrove, Oranmore, €120,000.
27. No 78 Gleann Dara, Bishop O’Donnell Road, €165,000.
28. No 19 Mullán Mór, Tuam Road, €143,000.
29. No 1 Holly Grove, Renmore, €266,000.
30. Lake Road, Loughrea, €410,000.
O’Donnellan & Joyce’s next property auction will take place on Friday, October 2 at the Harbour Hotel. For further details see www.odonnjoyce.com or call (091 ) 564212 for complete details of the summer auction and all properties for sale.
The property at Lake Road, Loughrea, which sold for €410,000.
No 78 Gleann Dara, Bishop O’Donnell Road, Galway, sold for €165,000.
No 1 Holly Grove, Renmore, which went for €266,000.