Buyers and investors were out in force at the O’Donnellan and Joyce property auction in Galway where a block of 17 one- and two-bed apartments presented in turnkey condition in the coastal Gaeltacht village of Spiddal, 12 miles outside Galway city, sold as one lot for €1,005,000. Bidding commenced at €420,000 and went up in bids of €5,000. A total of 110 bids was made before the hammer dropped at €1,005,000. This was, of course, a highlight sale in the afternoon’s catalogue, where 38 properties from Galway to Donegal and from Limerick to Tipperary fetched a total of €5m.
On the east side of Galway city, four apartments were sold as one lot for an incredible €245,000. The apartments are ideally located in Frenchpark, Oranmore, just a five minute walk from Oranmore village and a short drive from Galway city centre. Two of the apartments are currently rented, making this the ideal investment opportunity for one lucky bidder.
Value for money was evident across all lots, with notable interest in Galway city and county as well as counties Mayo, Roscommon, and Limerick. In Galway city, No 19 Presentation Road, a superb four bed property with guaranteed rental potential, sold for €230,000. A charming two bedroom city centre terraced home in Court Avenue, Woodquay, received considerable interest, with the hammer finally falling at €130,000. No 63 Forster Court, a semidetached property ideally situated just a stone’s throw from Eyre Square, sold for €335,000 after an intense bidding war, with investors clearly enticed by its potential as a family home or a guaranteed rental opportunity.
The suburb of Renmore proved its status of one of Galway’s most sought after addresses, with No 212 Lurgan Park, a lovely three bed semidetached located close to GMIT and Merlin Park Hospital, selling for €190,000. No 78 Dun na Mara, an excellent three/four bedroom property, sold for €277,000. Two apartments in Gleann na Rí, ideally situated just minutes from the GMIT campus, again promising guaranteed rental income from students or professionals, sold for €86,000 and €80,000 respectively. In the neighbouring east Galway suburb of Doughiska, No 73 Fearann Rí, a four bedroom semidetached home, sold for €106,000.
A number of residential investments in County Galway garnered considerable interest, and the auction room was buzzing as bidders batted back and forth, eager to secure their chosen properties. A superb four bedroom dormer bungalow in Carrowkeel, Kiltullagh, Athenry, standing on 0.5 acre of mature gardens, sold for €209,000. A partially completed four bedroom bungalow proved to be a sound investment at just €35,000 in Ballinasloe.
Further afield, No 37 Ardcronan Balla, Co Mayo, located just 15km outside Castlebar, proved to be an incredible investment opportunity. This three bedroom semidetached home was snapped up for just €62,000. In County Roscommon, 33 acres of agricultural land at Carrandoe Bridge, Rooskey, sold at €52,000.
In the Limerick city suburb of Raheen, Derryknockane View, a modern four bedroom apartment with tenant in place was sold for €90,000.
Overall, Friday proved to be a strong day for investors. The apartment block in An Spidéal was the star of the show, reaching the one million mark. Galway city and county proved to be most popular, and regional areas in counties Limerick, Mayo, Roscommon, and Donegal offered great value.
A pioneer of Ireland’s regional all day property auctions for non–stressed properties, O’Donnellan & Joyce, Galway’s complete property service, will return with its final property auction of 2015 on Friday December 18. If this month's auction is anything to go by, the final fall of Colm O’Donnellan’s gavel for 2015 will undoubtedly see a strong end to the year.
For all auction results see www.odonnjoyce.com.
The full list of results from Friday is below.
1. No 19 Presentation Road, Galway, sold €230,000.
2. No 1 Court Avenue, Woodquay, Galway, sold €130,000.
3. Carrowkeel, Kiltullagh, Athenry, sold €209,000.
4. No 212 Lurgan Park, Renmore, Galway, sold €190,000.
5. No 63 Forster Court, Forster Street, Galway, sold €335,000.
6. No 73 Fearann Rí, Doughishka, Galway, sold €106,000.
7. No 64 Fearann Rí, Doughishka, Galway, sold €105,000.
8. No 78 Dun na Mara, Renmore, Galway, sold €277,000.
9. No 235 Gleann na Rí, Renmore, Galway, sold €86,000.
10. No 215 Gleann na Rí, Renmore, Galway, sold €80,000.
11. Ballagh, Bushypark, Co Galway, sold €243,000.
12. No 20 Carraig Mór, Loughrea, Co Galway, sold €115,000.
13. No 38 Lower Newcastle, Galway, sold €250,000.
14. No 26 Eden Park, Loughrea, Co Galway, sold €140,000.
15. No 37 Ardcronan, Balla, Co Mayo, sold €62,000.
16. No 131 Dun na Mara Drive, Renmore, Galway, sold €242,000.
17. No 164 An Fiodan, Doughishka, Galway, sold €143,000.
18. No 11 Woodhaven, Merlin Park, Galway, sold €350,000.
19. No 6 Bruach an Chaladh, Portumna, Co Galway, sold €74,000.
20. Ballinlass, Ballinasloe, Co Galway, sold €35,000.
21. No 26 Temple Jarlath Court, Tuam, Co Galway, sold €61,500.
22. Carrandoe Bridge, Rooskey, Co Roscommon, sold €52,000.
23. Longfield, Co Donegal, sold €60,000.
24. No 3 Derryknockane View, Raheen, Co Limerick, sold €90,000.
25. Glen of Aherlow, Co Tipperary, sold €260,000.
26. Bruach na hAbhainn, Spiddal, Co Galway, sold €1,005,000.
27. Fearann Rí, Doughishka, Galway, sold €650,000.
28. Nos 84, 85, 90, and 91 Frenchpark, Oranmore, Galway, sold €255,000.